+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Spa jet pressure question

Default Spa jet pressure question

My spa has a 2HP pump and an air blower. The air blower does add quite a bit of action but the water pressure seems far too low for a 2HP pump. I have tried to shut down some jets but that doesn't help much. I am wondering if I should install a valve to bypass the filter to see if that might help, or maybe I need a better pump.

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Default Re: Spa jet pressure question

Hi John;

I don't have any real experience with spas, and they are not really the focus of this forum. However I'm going to move this post to a location where it has a somewhat better chance of being answered.

Ben

waterbear is offline Lifetime Member Sniggle Mechanic waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars

Is this a recent problem or has it been since the build of the pool? How new is the build? Is the pump and filter shared with the pool or does the spa have it's own pump and filter? How may returns (jets) are in the spa and are any of them more than just basic jets?
    I assume this is not an acrylic free standing spa but one that is build in. Built in spas never have the same water action that a stand alone spa does. Usually they have just enough jets to provide a "whirlpool" action when the jets are are pointed in the same direction. The bubblers and aerators provide most of the water action. (Also, built ins, if they are plaster, will not have the loungers and 'chairs' that are often found in freestanding spas and some of the acrylic and fiberglass spa shells made for building in.) It is the nature of the beast. Having owned both types of spas myself I can tell you that the built in spas are not 'worse'. Both types can provide a satisfying spa experience but you cannot directly compare the two. It's comparing apples to oranges.
    Last edited by waterbear; 09-13-2011 at 11:56 AM.
    Retired pool store and commercial pool maintenance guy.

It is an oversized built in plastered spa and is about 4 years old. I just bought the property so I don't know the history. The filter is big enough for a good sized pool and there is about 16 jets 1/2 of which are spinning ones. There isn't enough pressure to spin them unless I run the air blower.

===============================

OOPS, sorry I didn't mention there is no pool just the oversized spa which is almost a small pool.

(posts combined - PoolDoc)

mas985 is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner mas985 3 stars mas985 3 stars mas985 3 stars

Quote Originally Posted by John A Smith View Post
    there is about 16 jets 1/2 of which are spinning ones
    You would probably need two 2 HP pumps for that many jets. The average jet requires about 15 GPM each with some jets requiring upwards of 25 GPM. Either way, a 2 HP could not produce that much flow.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

waterbear is offline Lifetime Member Sniggle Mechanic waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars

Quote Originally Posted by mas985 View Post
    You would probably need two 2 HP pumps for that many jets. The average jet requires about 15 GPM each with some jets requiring upwards of 25 GPM. Either way, a 2 HP could not produce that much flow.
    And there you have it!
    Retired pool store and commercial pool maintenance guy.

Just a thought, make sure your filter is clean. My built in spa won't really get to bubbling if there is even just a little less pressure due to dirty filter... and my spa only has 4 "regular" jets.
    rectangle 11.5K gal IG concrete pool;; 125sf cartridge filter; 2hp 1 speed pump; K-2006, k-1766; PF:10

Thanks

I really think I have a design problem. My system has an air blower that injects lots of air into the jets but when I turn on the 2HP water pump the air goes away. I would think that if the air properly mixed with the water the action would vastly improve. Could I need a more powerful air blower?

+ Reply to Thread