+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Water Temperature for Pool Closing

Red face Water Temperature for Pool Closing

It is getting near the end of the season. Do I need to wait unitl the pool water temperature drops to a given temperature prior to closing or does it make any difference, as long as I follow the pool closure guidelines. My pool is an inground pool with approximately 12K gallons. The PH is 7.6, CYA is 55 to 60, TA is 100, CH is 175, FC=5.0, CC=0 and water temperature is currently 82F. I will be installing a pool cover as part of my closure.

aylad is offline SuperMod Emeritus Burfle Ringer aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars

Default Re: Water Temperature for Pool Closing

If you can wait until the water temp drops, it would be better--cold water uses much, much less chlorine than warm water does, so your chlorine that you add at closing will last longer, and even when it's used up, the cold water can also help inhibit the algae growth until the water starts warming up again. So...you CAN close it with warm water, but I can almost guarantee that you're going to open to a green pool in the spring if you do, especially if you don't get it opened back up before the water temp comes back up. Of course, if that happens, you can always clean it up with bleach and filtration, but it will take quite a lot of bleach. So..it's really your call, but you stand a much better chance of opening to clear water if you can wait until your water temp drops.
    Janet

Thank you so much!

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

I usually don't unhook my pump and filter until we start getting freezing temps at night. Then, in the spring, I hook my equipment back up early. Less chance of algae this way.

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

I go for 60 degrees or less, unless it's already mid-October and then I aim for 65. And, if I can, I try to begin the opening process in mid April after the last frost and all the ice in the pool has melted, so I don't get a spring bloom either. If I have to wait till mid May, I will get a bloom, so I don't like that.

Carl
    Carl

+ Reply to Thread