+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Rules For Those Of Us In The Industry

Default Rules For Those Of Us In The Industry

Hello,

I just wanted to check in and see what the rules are for those of us in the pool and spa industry. I remember when the old forums were up, it was a rule that if you worked in the industry that you would have to disclose that in your signature? What info is okay and what info is against the rules for your signature?

Thanks,
    Josh

Watermom is offline Super Moderator Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Default Re: Rules For Those Of Us In The Industry

Yes, if you are in the pool industry, you must state that and tell in what capacity in every one of your posts. Also, no peddling of merchandise. I looked, and you are right, these requirements don't seem to be spelled out any place on the new forum. I have asked Ben to take a look at your question.

I thought I read that in the rules somewhere on the new forum? Might need to check it again. I SWEAR I read that somewhere very recently.
    22,000 gallon vinyl IG located in the heart of North Carolina

CarlD is offline Super Moderator Quark Inspector CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Quote Originally Posted by JoshU
    Hello,

I just wanted to check in and see what the rules are for those of us in the pool and spa industry. I remember when the old forums were up, it was a rule that if you worked in the industry that you would have to disclose that in your signature? What info is okay and what info is against the rules for your signature?

Thanks,
    Josh
    Ben (PoolDoc) will be happy to spell out the rules for you, especially since you are being so vigilant to find them out up front.

Many pool professionals are able to be very valuable, contributing members here and frequently have excellent insight, making themselves very welcome.
    Carl

16'x40' rectangle 19K gal AG vinyl pool; ; Hayward T210 sand filter and 2 Speed Superpump 1hp pump; Solar heated. Test kit: PS 233; PF:6.3; Autopilot SWCG

KurtV is offline Registered+ Widget Weaver KurtV 0

There's a link to the forum terms of use on the front page (http://www.poolforum.com), but it's broken.

Quote Originally Posted by KurtV
    There's a link to the forum terms of use on the front page (http://www.poolforum.com), but it's broken.
    Yes, on the old forums the rule was that if you work for a pool company to state so in your signature and/or post. But I couldn't find that info on the new forums.

Thanks everyone....

waste is offline --trial user-- Whizbang Spinner waste 3 stars waste 3 stars waste 3 stars

Wink Re: Rules For Those Of Us In The Industry

Josh, as I recall, the rules included ,but are not limited to:
    1) DO NOT SELL!!! (ANYTHING!!)
    2)Do not try to give chem advice, unless and until, you know Ben's take on chems.
    3)If you have a problem with what Ben says, take it off the forum, to him directly (or to the 'china shop')
    4) Don't think that YOU have all the answers
    5) You MUST disclose your connection to the industry in every post (hence, the signature/ header)
    6) If you violate a rule Ben will bounce you as soon as he sees the post (and likelyhood of reinstatement is SLIM)
    7) If you've received training by 'Big Chem Co' or the NSPI, MAKE SURE YOU KNOW WHAT BEN'S TAKE IS ON ANYTHING, BEFORE POSTING

Ben made it sound more ominous,but I think I caught the 'jist' of it - I believe that if you follow the above, you'll be OK until Ben can fix or repost the broken link.
    Welcome to the forum as a member! - Waste
    Luv & Luk, Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill libraries

Thanks, for the info Waste. I was around on the old forum, too. Just wasn't around too much latley but I'm back now.

Josh

Here are the rules as posted @: http://www.poolsolutions.com/cart/pforum.php

Don't sell or promote stuff!
    This is the #1 reason people get banned, and it's the reason people in the trade can't abide the rules. Sell stuff -- and that includes statements like "my product is best" -- WILL get you banned instantly. Promote stuff -- "I think my new super duper Whiz-a-rink sanitizer is what everyone ought to use" -- and you may get a warning, or you may get banned.

Be polite, kind, and respectful.
    Personal attacks and ad hominem arguments will get you a warning . . . once!
    Cussing, obscenity (remember I judge), lying, and the like will get you banned instantly.

Remember that everyone was once a newbie -- be polite and kind when newbies the kind of stupid question you once asked, too.

If you are in the pool industry -- as an employee, owner, partner, representative, contractor, manager, consultant, engineer, etc -- or directly related to someone in the pool industry (father, mother, spouse, child), you MUST disclose this fact when you sign up initially, AND in every single post you make, after. The best way to do this is to use the member features to add a 'signature' line to your posts. Be SURE that this line only describes your role, and does NOT sell your product, services, or company!

**This is a ZERO-TOLERANCE** condition -- VIOLATE it and you WILL be banned immediately without refund.**

+ Reply to Thread