+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Building Pool Need Automatic Cleaner Advice

Default Building Pool Need Automatic Cleaner Advice

We are in the process of building our pool. We live in Florida and have long needle pines close by. I have been researching automatic pool cleaners and keep waffling between the pressure type or the robotic. The most important thing for me would be something that can help keep ahead of the pine needles. We have to decide before the plans for the pool are finalized since some of the pressure types require built ins. Comments from others with long needle pine experience is very welcome.

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Default Re: Building Pool Need Automatic Cleaner Advice

I haven't worked with your particular situation, but you'll probably want to look at where the debris is trapped. A cleaner with a large bag is probably better for leaves and needles, but one with a small filter cartridge may be better for dust and dirt.

However, in your area, screened pool enclosures are common, and if you get an enclosure, then needles won't be an issue.

If not, then having multiple well-placed skimmers with a low-resistance high flow circulation system, coupled with a 2 speed pump that can economically maintain that high flow 24/7 would be something to consider. No vacuum is going to be as easy as removing needles from a skimmer basket with a sock.

Such as system might consist of a 1.5HP 2 speed pump (like a Hayward Super or Super II), a 24" sand filter (up to 20,000 gallons) or ideally 30", and 2" piping & multiport servicing 2 skimmers + 1 main drain and 2-3 returns. The MD would be off, normally, and the return eyeballs directed down but oriented to produce circular flow that would carry surface debris past the skimmers. This would be a VERY low resistance circulation system, so you'd get a lot of flow on low speed, for very low cost.

You'd operate on low speed except when cleaning or backwashing. If you want extremely clear water, you could opt for a System-3 type DE filter, preferably somewhat over-sized.

Thank you for the options. I thought our only choices would be automatic cleaners or constant manual labor.

We will be meeting with our rep in a few days so I can ask him to speck this out and see what it adds to the estimate. I'm willing to give up a few luxuries if I have to (like the beach entrance) for a long term solution to the pine needle issue.

Thanks again

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

you're welcome. -ben

Aquabot.

I have 2 main skimmers and then a Polaris 9300 robot and plenty of pine trees. The skimmers do a good job with the needles and the robot cleans the rest.

+ Reply to Thread