+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Cloudy water after algae kill.

Default Cloudy water after algae kill.

5 days ago I added 2 cases of chlorine and a quart of polyquat to get rid of a stuuborn algae growth, which it did. The water is now blue but remains cloudy. visibility is about 2 feet. Using an HTH test kit the chlorine is over 5, Ph 7.2, and alk at 240 ppm. Using HTH test strips hardness is 200, FC=10, pH=7.2, Alk=240, cya=30-50.It's a 16' x32' x 48" A.G. I've been using trichlor in a floater but have taken it out for now. I'm thinking ph needs to be increased but unsure of what else could be done.

Default Re: Cloudy water after algae kill.

To clear the dead algae you need to run your pump 24x7 and clean the filter when the pressure rises 10lb; which may be very quickly with a lot of dead algae to filter. Brush the sides/bottom often to get the stuff into the water and therefore into the filter (or vacuum to waste). You also need to get a test kit like the k-2006 that shows combined chlorine since it's possible there may still be some live algae in there still.
    rectangle 11.5K gal IG concrete pool;; 125sf cartridge filter; 2hp 1 speed pump; K-2006, k-1766; PF:10

I've done all that and backwashed the filter till it runs clear. I've had the solar cover off for the treatment and the water is 76 degs. I don't have a heater.

aylad is offline SuperMod Emeritus Burfle Ringer aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars

You need to measure your chlorine after the sun is off the pool in the evening and again in the morning before the sun hits the pool. If you've lost more than 1 ppm of chlorine in that time, then you still have live algae and need to raise your chlorine again to shock level. If not, then you'll just have to be a little patient, because the chlorine kills the algae, but it's up to the filter to get it out. I'm assuming you have a sand filter--have you tried the handful of DE trick to start filtering out some of the finer stuff?
    Janet

Haven't tried DE. Not sure where to get it. Would a hardware store have it? No pool stores within 30 miles of us.

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Lowe's or Home Depot might but not certain. Jan is right that DE can help filter out the finer stuff, but if you just recently killed algae, it might not be time for the DE trick yet. I think if it were my pool, I'd wait a few days and when the sand filter has removed most of it, the DE can help you get that sparkle.

+ Reply to Thread