+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Weird teeny tiny bugs and stinging/flying ant things

aylad is offline SuperMod Emeritus Burfle Ringer aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars

Default Re: Weird teeny tiny bugs and stinging/flying ant things

Do they appear to live at the waterline and jump back and forth from the water to the edge of the pool? If so, they're springtails--when I get them, I shock the $#@@ out of the pool and they go away.

Janet

Hi Janet.

Yes, they do seem to jump back and forth. A lot of them were floating on the water, but there were a lot on the tile also. When I scooped some up in a cup, I did notice that some would jump from the side to the water and back and forth.

It sounds like these are springtails. I just saw cpmart's post "springtails or water fleas" and saw your post in there too. I put in 3 gallons of bleach 6% earlier today. In my 20000 gal pool, that should give me 9+ 3 I already had in there. I'll go get some more and get up to 15 per Ben's best guess chart.

Do you keep it there, or did it seem to kill them instantly and you could let it drift back to normal right away?

Thanks,
    Robert
    ~~
    22K gallon, IG, gunite, Sunstone Pearl White Pearl plaster, Aqualogic SWCG, Hayward Tristar pool pump, Pentair Whisperflo waterfall pump, Pentair Clean & Clear 320 cartridge filter, Sta-Rite heater.

matt4x4 is offline Lifetime Member Verb Herder matt4x4 2 stars matt4x4 2 stars

let it drift back to normal, by the time it does tehy will be dead at 15ppm.

I was having a problem with round black bugs about 2 cm across and also those tiny bugs you are talking about and I have cut down a small tree that was to the side of the pool and I moved my security light to another location. The security light was right next to pool. I was proud of the security light there for swimming at night but I did not anticipate the bug problem. I hope this helps you.

Unhappy Re: Weird teeny tiny bugs and stinging/flying ant things

I have those wormy things in my pool and am disgusted by them. Mine don't seem to be on the top of the water. They seem to be more on the bottom and only towards the top when the pool is stirred up from someone being in there. I noticed them when vacuuming the pool. There were TONS of them in the bag. They are tan in color, almost looks like bleached out grass seed. They look just like that picture that's posted. Most of them were not moving, but at a really close look a few of them were. I shocked the pool yesterday and now it is raining today, so we will see how many are there when I am able to vacuum again. I really would like to know what they are. Who wants to swim in a worm pool?

As close as I could determine, mine were springtails. With a magnifying glass and squinting really hard, I could barely make out antennae. They would also crawl so they had legs, but were too small for me to see. They would also jump. Everything pointed to springtails.

Robert
    ~~
    22K gallon, IG, gunite, Sunstone Pearl White Pearl plaster, Aqualogic SWCG, Hayward Tristar pool pump, Pentair Whisperflo waterfall pump, Pentair Clean & Clear 320 cartridge filter, Sta-Rite heater.

Quote Originally Posted by rpoldervaart
    Here's a pic of the tiny worm things. This is in a small cup.

Robert

I have something that looks just like this. Just showed up in my pool today. What are they and how do I get rid of them?
    Last edited by PoolDoc; 06-26-2013 at 04:03 PM. Reason: fix pix

I think they are "springtail" and should be harmless, although gross if you know they're in there. We had a lot of rain this past week and the pool filled up and the drain was clogged. I had thousands of these things again. I don't know of any way to get rid of them. If they're congregating by the sides of the pool and jumping back and forth, then a mixture of 1tblspoon dawn soap with 1cup water in a sprayer will cause them to sink and drown. But from what I've read, they can come back almost as quickly as you kill them...

Robert
    ~~

Thanks for the reply Robert. I "think" they showed up after putting in a new pump and filter. It is a cartridge filter and I half wonder if the little buggers were in the filter. I shocked the pool last night to see if that will help.

I don't know what they are, but I put what I vacuumed out of my pool in a tuperware container. They are growing longer! They seemed to be dead when I got them out of the pool, but are now moving and growing. The chlorine level in my pool is pretty high and doesn't seem to bother them. I don't think they are springtail. I would like to know what they are. Does anyone else with these have mature trees near?

+ Reply to Thread