Closed Thread

Thread: Diamond Brite vs. Regular plaster

Question Diamond Brite vs. Regular plaster

Our new pool is about to be dug and we are struggling with how to plaster it. We have researched Diamond Brite and think it looks like a great product. We can't find any pools in our area (Tulsa, OK) to look at and our pool builder's plaster guy doesn't think it's a good idea. He says it's really rough on the feet and will get rougher as time goes by, to the point of not being able to walk on it. We're looking for anyone with experience, direct or indirect, to help us decide.

Default Re: Diamond Brite vs. Regular plaster

Hi. I do not have Diamond Brite...but I have Pebble Tec. Pebble Tec may be rougher than Diamond Brite. The pool is a little over a year old. My feet are fine. It took me about 10 minutes to get used to it. I have not given it a thought since except that I am very glad I did it as it is beautiful. Good luck with your decision. Have a great day.

Mike

KurtV is offline Registered+ Widget Weaver KurtV 0

I have Diamond Brite and it's as smooth as can be; at least as smooth as plaster. You will probably get some mottling in the finish if you use one of the darker colors, even if the plasterers do a good job and follow SGM's finishing instructions (which mine did not). If you do go with it, make sure the plasterers are aware of those instructions (link below; they can water wash, acid wash, or high-acid startup).

Mine is French Gray and has some mottling, but it seems to be evening out (6 months new).

Diamond Brite application instructions: http://sgm.cc/download/installationm...amondBrite.pdf

I too am building a pool - they only offer Diamond Brite or Pebble Tech. Since it was $6000 more for the Pebble Tech - we stayed with the "standard" Diamond Brite.

My father-in-law's pools (3 in the last 4 years) have all been Diamond Brite plaster pools - yes they can get really rough IF you don't take care of them and the plaster starts etching (really low PH). If they are taken care of they are fine. My kids have been swimming in pools for years that have Diamond Brite and they have never complained about it being rough.

If it really concerns you - check out Pebble Sheen - it is really expensive but it is supposed to be like a granite finish more than a pebble finish - very smooth.
    Completed 8/21/06
    14,000 gallon 3'-6' concrete pool with Diamond Brite
    Spa with spillway
    250K BTU gas heater (for spa)
    SWCG - Aqua Rite
    Hayward Super II Pump - Cartridge filter

See pictures here http://www.philsimmons.com/family/ga...mages&keyword=

MarkC is offline Registered+ Weir Watcher MarkC 1 star

I have a finish like Diamondbrite and it is going on 5 years. It feels as smooth today as the day it was done. Kind of like a sharkskin if you ever felt one.

Thanks for the advice. I am beginning to think there isn't a Diamond Brite pool in Tulsa for us to look at. We have never seen one, other than in pictures, but still think it looks better than regular plaster. Our plaster guy has never done one before so I called the manufacturer in Florida, who said that if he has some experience in plaster (this guy has a lot of experience) that he can put it on without any problems. Do you think we will be ok with an experienced plaster guy installing a product he has not installed? Thanks for the input.

Putting the plaster on is not much different than regular plaster just a little heavier. Have your plasterer call SGM and get advice on how to exspose the plaster thats where the experience comes in play.

Closed Thread