+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Green pool - algae

Angry Green pool - algae

So, after dealing with a really bad 1st time fill (iron/well water!) this spring, we've had "smooth sailing" until about a week ago. Pool had the solar cover on for a few days and we took the cover off to discover a green, cloudy swamp. I immediately hopped on here and self-diagnosed it as algae. Dumped in bleach, a few bags of "shock", filtered, vacuumed and wasn't getting any improvement after a few days (got worse?). So at the pressure of my other half, we bought some 2-part HTC, "Green to Blue", Part 1 was basically shock and part 2 was a flocculant (sp?). Per instructions you shock (we didn't, chlorine was high), then let sit 4+ hours then dump in the flocculant. Run filter for a few hours then let sit overnight for everything to settle. We did this Sunday (floc), and have been vacuuming brown/orange crap that has settled to the bottom of the pool every day since - 1 - 2x a day. So, it's appeared to have worked... but now the pool is still green and I'm SUPPOSED to be having a pool party tomorrow!
    Going to pick up some DE the throw in the skimmer... any other tips you all can suggest? I really appreciate everyone on this forum and thank you in advance for any help!

Here's my test results from a little bit ago:
    Free Chlorine 13.0
    Combined Chlorine 0
    PH 7.20
    Total Alkalinity 150
    Calcium Hardness 225
    CYA 52.00
    *note CC was 0 last Sunday too, is that odd?
    14,500 gal ~70's era Gunite bottom/fiberglass sides (w/various coatings over the years). Hayward Sand filter w/ZeoBright + 1HP Hayward Pump, 1 skimmer, 1 jet.

aylad is offline SuperMod Emeritus Burfle Ringer aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars

Default Re: Green pool - algae

Is your water green and clear, or green and cloudy? If it's green and clear, it's possible that you have metal staining. If you have copper or iron in your fill water, the shocking would have dropped it out of solution in the form of stains, which can make the water appear green--copper usually causes greenish stains, iron can make yellowish stains. If it's green and cloudy, then odds are you haven't killed the algae yet, and you need to bring your chlorine levels back up to shock level ( 15 ppm for a CYA of 50) and hold it there until the pool clears up.
    Janet

+ Reply to Thread