+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: K-2006 test kit, just a few thoughts

Default K-2006 test kit, just a few thoughts

I got my K-2006 test kit a few weeks ago and I think Taylor kinda missed the boat on the Powder with the little dipper for the chlorine test.

My old kit, which is a very old DPD kit, used small individually foil wrapped pills which are simply dropped into the test vial with pool water. Simple, no measuring, just drop, shake and read. The Taylor kit does allow for a much more precise measurement by counting the drops, too bad Taylor couldn't have combined the two.

I find the pH scale a little harder to read on the Taylor Kit, but the new kit does allow for many more test like the Acid Demand etc.
    Last edited by BigTallGuy; 08-17-2011 at 08:48 PM.
    If you can afford a swimming pool and computer, you can probably afford to help keep the PoolForum alive. Please be a responsible member and subscribe today. You'll probably save more than the membership fee on your first trip to the pool store. BTG

giroup01 is offline Registered+ Thread Analyst giroup01 0

Default Re: K-2006 test kit, just a few thoughts

They came up with what they're calling a Unit Dose Dispenser, an attachment to the R-0870 vial that dispenses a precise amount of powder every time you turn a knob. I believe I saw a similar dispensing apparatus with Lamotte, Lovibond or some other vendor, just can't remember who.

You can see the UDD in action by viewing videos at www.taylorwiselabs.com.

http://www.taylorwiselab.com/videos/...dispenser-tips
    Reseller of Taylor water-testing products for Canada

Have you tried it? How does it work? Do pool stores sell it over the counter, or is it one of those "It costs more to ship than the price of the item" things? It sure looks pretty cool. Thanks.
    If you can afford a swimming pool and computer, you can probably afford to help keep the PoolForum alive. Please be a responsible member and subscribe today. You'll probably save more than the membership fee on your first trip to the pool store. BTG

giroup01 is offline Registered+ Thread Analyst giroup01 0

Haven't tried it, I use the old two-scoops-of-powder method, it's a Taylor 9250, the pool stores in your area may be able to get it from Taylor. Taylor blocks the Canadian IP addresses from viewing US prices on their site (Canadians see no price displayed) but Google says it's about $10 US from various retailers in the US.
    Reseller of Taylor water-testing products for Canada

The powder just has to be close. as long as you put in atleast 2 dippers yopur good. A little more will not give different results.

http://www.taylortechnologies.com/pr..._slideshow.asp
    pick pool then scroll down to fas dpd test

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

waterbear is offline Lifetime Member Sniggle Mechanic waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars

Quote Originally Posted by Watermom View Post
    Actually, you don't have to put two scoops. Try one. If it turns pink, you don't need the second scoop. All you need is the color change.
    Exactly! Also, the Unit Dose Dispenser seems like someting that would be more useful to a pool store that is testing many samples in a day to speed up testing and help avoid contamination since you are not supposed to leave the dispenser on the vial for storage.
    Retired pool store and commercial pool maintenance guy.

Thanks Mom, I tried the 1 scoop of the Taylor R-0870 Powder and you were spot on right. 1 scoop works as well as 2 scoops. That will certainly stretch the powder out before I have to re-order.

And here is a bit of interesting news, I tried the same chlorine test using one of the DPD Tablets from my old test kit for the FC Test. I filled the Tester to the 25ML line a dropped in a tablet. It took the same number of drops to turn the water clear as the 1 scoop of Taylor powder test. I proceeded on to the CC test and it too had the same reading.

Does anyone know if the Taylor Powder and the DPD tablets are really the same thing?

chem geek is offline PF Supporter Whibble Konker chem geek 4 stars chem geek 4 stars chem geek 4 stars chem geek 4 stars

The DPD dye is the same, but the powder has some advantages. The liquid DPD is subject to oxidation from oxygen and the reagents attempt to reduce this problem by having the pH of the dye solution be a bit lower and by adding EDTA to the solution and there are also phosphate buffers. There are side effects with the liquid DPD solutions that can occur depending on the pool water sample, such as having the sample be high in calcium which can precipitate as calcium phosphate. The powdered DPD is far less susceptible to oxidation from oxygen and requires less buffering and EDTA as a result.

So if you are in a pinch and don't have any powder available, you can use the DPD liquid instead. It's still more accurate to titrate with the FAS-DPD drops regardless of which form of DPD indicator dye you use.

Quote Originally Posted by Watermom View Post
    Actually, you don't have to put two scoops. Try one. If it turns pink, you don't need the second scoop. All you need is the color change.
    Great advice!!! My test water always turns pink after one scoop, but I have always faithfully added a second scoop because, well, the instructions said to do that. But if I can get the same test results with only one scoop, that saves $$$ on the powder, doesn't it?

My $14 subscription fee to this site just keeps paying me back, over and over..... ;-)
    South Florida - 16,000g Diamond Brite pool, 700g spa & waterfall, Jandy 1400 AquaPure SWCG, Jandy variable-speed 1.5H pump, Jandy 60 DE filter, Jandy heat pump - using Taylor K-2006 kit

+ Reply to Thread