+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Refill R-0871

BigDave is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars

Question Refill R-0871

Love my K-2006!
    I will clearly need to replenish R-0871 soon.
    The larger bottles of R-0871 are quite a bit cheaper than the 0.75 oz.
    The 0.75 oz fits in the handy K-2006 case.

Can I refill the 0.75 oz bottle from a larger bottle?
    Does the dropper nib(?) just pop off?
    Should I wash / rinse the bottle prior to refilling?

Thanks
    12'x24' oval 7.7K gal AG vinyl pool; ; Hayward S270T sand filter; Hayward EcoStar SP3400VSP pump; hrs; K-2006; PF:16

Default Re: Refill R-0871

I refilled my R-0013 cya reagent this way. The top of the bottle comes off easily with a pair of needlenose pliers (you might even be able to do it without a tool). I was thinking next time I might just cut one of the blue "spines" out of the k2006 case and try to fit the larger bottle in it that way. Sure wish I'd bought a k2006c
    rectangle 11.5K gal IG concrete pool;; 125sf cartridge filter; 2hp 1 speed pump; K-2006, k-1766; PF:10

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

BigDave is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars

kelemvor;
    Thanks. I'm concerned that a pliers might reshape the dropper and result in inaccuracy - perhaps I can push it over/out with my thumb. For me the 2006C looks too big and I would never use all the CH, TA, Acid demand, or Base demand reagents. I'll examine the case-mod when I get the 2 oz bottle.

Watermom,
    Thanks. Noted. Personally, I find OTO a little hard to read especially in the evening (when I'm home) and find the DPD color comparator (K-2005 type) eaisier to read. I understand that the DPD test can bleach out with high FC and that's a good reason for many to choose OTO. That said, I will very likely use the FAS-DPD test exclusively as it is so much eaiser to read than either color comparator - especially the CC test.
    12'x24' oval 7.7K gal AG vinyl pool; ; Hayward S270T sand filter; Hayward EcoStar SP3400VSP pump; hrs; K-2006; PF:16

The inaccuracy concern had crossed my mind; I'm not sure how serious the concern would be. I figured with CYA it wouldn't matter since you use a separate container to measure it anyway. I suppose you could test if you haven't completely run out by performing a test before and after refilling to see if your results come out different. Problem is that if they do, you've wasted reagent I guess.
    rectangle 11.5K gal IG concrete pool;; 125sf cartridge filter; 2hp 1 speed pump; K-2006, k-1766; PF:10

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Yup. The tops pop right off. That's what I do to refill them.

Carl
    Carl

Yea, you're right about the CYA test but drop size counts for the DPD titration. How deep does the "nib" go into the bottle?

Carl, Thanks. Good to know. Any thought on wash / rinse? My guess would be "just fill 'er up".

Quote Originally Posted by BigDave View Post
    Yea, you're right about the CYA test but drop size counts for the DPD titration. How deep does the "nib" go into the bottle?
    Maybe 1/4" but I just tried it by pushing on the nib with my thumb on several other bottles. Pliers are definitely not necessary, they pop right off and back on again no problems at all.

Also, my idea of cutting one of the ribs on the box won't work. The larger bottles are still too tall to close the lid.

No, don't wash and rinse. There's no need and you might contaminate the reagent with water left in the bottle. I buy my refills from amatoind.com in fairly large sizes. When I refill a dropper bottle I pop off the nib (mine come off when I wedge a fingernail between it and the bottle and then pop it off with my thumb). I then shake out the bottle to remove as much old reagent as I can. Then I pour a small amount of new reagent in, roll it around, and shake it out as well. That 'cleans' the bottle with the fresh reagent.

On a side note, we're having so much rain here in my part of PA that the bridge washed out and the road is closed. The pool is overflowing at the skimmer. I put down a couple of pavers directly below the skimmer to direct the water away from the pool. Not doing any testing for the duration. I just put in some chlorine every other day. The dog kennels are under water, dogs are happy because they get to be in the house. The grass is approaching knee height with no chance of cutting it for at least another 2 days.

While in Texas they swelter and their wells are running dry.
    Oval 12.5K gal AGP; Hayward 19" sand filter; Pentair Dyn 1 HP 2sp pump on timer
    [URL="http://www.ellerbach.com/Pool/"]My Pool Pages[/URL]

+ Reply to Thread