+ Reply to Thread

Thread: k-2005 kit help

Default k-2005 kit help

I know you suggest the k-2006 but i got a k-2005(high) off ebay for $1.25 so i had to pick it up. I had the hth 6way kit before buying this but used up my cya (2 tests) so i needed something for the rest of the season. 2 questions: does" high" mean the kit tests higher levels because it has dilution marks? And if i pick up a k-1515 will that be all i need? Thank you

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Default Re: k-2005 kit help

A 1515 + a 2005 gives you complete testing capability.

For what the "high" means in a K2005, I'd check the Taylor site. I believe it's still a DPD color match kit, but with a slightly higher range on the test cell. Adding different colors to the cell does nothing, however, to overcome the problem of DPD bleaching in color match methods.

It is a dpd, i figured it was the 4.5ml and the 1.8ml along with the 9ml test mark on the cl side so you can guage your dilution. But i will check with taylor. Thank you

waterbear is offline Lifetime Member Sniggle Mechanic waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars

High is the standard K-2005 with a chlorine comparator that tests from 0 to 5 ppm. Low is kit K-2105 and has a comparator that tests from 0 to 2.5 ppm chlorine (double these for bromine). It is really more usedful for commercial spas or indoor pools that are not stabilized.

The only difference between the two kits is the comparator. The K-2005 uses comparator 9756 while the K-2105 uses comparator 9757 (and ALL the FAS-DPD kits use comprator 9758).
    Last edited by waterbear; 08-10-2011 at 10:16 AM.
    Retired pool store and commercial pool maintenance guy.

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Thx, Evan.

giroup01 is offline Registered+ Thread Analyst giroup01 0

If you got the kit off eBay make sure you check with Taylor if the reagents are still usable. You'll need to tell them the lot numbers (number may look like 1042D) and they'll tell you if they're still good. Experiences vary with stuff off eBay as to the age if the reagents. The R-0002 has to be colorless (not pink or red).
    Reseller of Taylor water-testing products for Canada

waterbear is offline Lifetime Member Sniggle Mechanic waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars

Quote Originally Posted by not2high2fly View Post
    It is a dpd, i figured it was the 4.5ml and the 1.8ml along with the 9ml test mark on the cl side so you can guage your dilution. But i will check with taylor. Thank you

The dilution marks are standard on all 2000 series DPD kits to get a rough idea of higher chlorine levels. Just remember that you lose a lot of precision with dilutions. The instructions for doing the dilutions are on the lid of the box at the bottom of the chlorine testing section. Also remember to use water that has NO chlorine added to it such as distilled water for your dilutions. (Well water often has chlorine added so I would be cautious if you have well water.)

Quote Originally Posted by giroup01 View Post
    If you got the kit off eBay make sure you check with Taylor if the reagents are still usable. You'll need to tell them the lot numbers (number may look like 1042D) and they'll tell you if they're still good. Experiences vary with stuff off eBay as to the age if the reagents. The R-0002 has to be colorless (not pink or red).
    VERY TRUE!!!!! You don't know how long that kit might have been sitting around and if the reagents are past their useful life they need to be replaced. In particualar R-0002 and R-0004 (pH) seem to have a shorter shelf life than the other reagents in the kit.

Thanks for the info guys, my r-002 is clear but i will check with taylor. I do my testing twice once with the k-2005 and double check with the hth 6 way and so far everything looks good. When i first started testing(green pool) i only had poland spring water i didn't find any CL in it , can i keep using it? One last question(i hope i can ask here) pool is cloudy(white) but i can see bottom in 8' end, i figure another 3-4 day's of filtering. The kids want in should i poly quat? Thanks again for the help

+ Reply to Thread