+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Return flow problem

Question Return flow problem

I have 2 returns in an inground pool (18X36). The return that is furthest away from the pool equipment (approximately 40ft) seems to flow properly during normal use. It flows out hard and pushes my hand away as it always has. The return closer to the equipment (15ft) barely trickles out. I am not losing any water so there are no leaks. If I plug up the return furthest away, the one that is not working will work as it normally should. The return line is some sort of flexible PVC. My pool service seems to think that the line is crushed. I'm not sure that if the line is crushed that it could have the flow that it does when the other end is plugged. Could there be other reasons why this might be happening?

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Default Re: Return flow problem

Your near return could be crushed, and still allow full flow to the far return, if the lines are separate -- check your piping at the filter pad -- OR if the near return line is crushed AFTER it tees of the main line.

vinper is offline Subscriber Thread Analyst vinper 0

watch the pressure gauge on filter when you plug the good return if the pressure rises there is a restriction in that line .. Have you taken the return jet off and looked in there , they just unscrew, try running a flexible fish tape in from the pool side while running could get lucky ... I assume there is only one return line leaving filter then splits up . or tee's off ?

You also could cut return line at filter, plug the good jet and try a wet vac to suck any obstruction back out . Or use a sump pump and tie it into the bad jet line and blow it back out ( house hose wont have enough pressure). Or the simplest would be to put a restrictor inside the good side to reduce flow there by balancing the two line's. restrictor as simple as cutting a 1/2" piece of the next smaller side of pvc pipe insert in behind good return jet. Just somethings I would try
    Last edited by Watermom; 08-19-2011 at 09:17 PM. Reason: merge posts

+ Reply to Thread