+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Safe pH levels for vinyl pools

SalemCastles Guest

Default Re: Sudden cloudiness

Quote Originally Posted by waterbear View Post
    The point you seem to be missing is the point I made before. WHAT is causing the pH to drop and the TA to be depleted? Since we don't know the answer to that is it much safe to get the pH up BEFORE he leaves since we don't know how quickly the pH will drop. That is what is right!
    Perhaps I am but that's mainly due to the fact that we have no indication that anything is driving the PH down. It might very well have been at the level for the last 4 years. We don't know because it wasn't being tested. Couple that with the notion that high CL is more damaging then Low PH I just think it should be mentioned in passing in case it's true.

waterbear is offline Lifetime Member Sniggle Mechanic waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars

Quote Originally Posted by DurhamHouses View Post
    Perhaps I am but that's mainly due to the fact that we have no indication that anything is driving the PH down. It might very well have been at the level for the last 4 years. We don't know because it wasn't being tested. Couple that with the notion that high CL is more damaging then Low PH I just think it should be mentioned in passing in case it's true.
    Then based on what you say we should never shock a liner pool because high sanitizer will damage the liner and cause it to wrinkle by taking on water... empirical evidence notwithstanding.
    (And this discussion is more suited to the china shop than in this hijack of the OP's thread.)
    Retired pool store and commercial pool maintenance guy.

aylad is offline SuperMod Emeritus Burfle Ringer aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars

DurhamHouses, our advice to the OP is not changing....whether you agree with it or not is up to you. At this point, if you want to continue the debate, please do so in the China Shop so that the original poster can continue his thread here if he chooses.

Janet

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

It was wrong on so many levels that I just couldn't respond nicely.
    Then don't. We'll take care of it.

Carl
    Carl

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Since many of us have run high levels of sanitizer for many years in liners that are 9, 10, even 15 years old, it's a little hard to tell which wrinkles are due to excessive chlorine, and which are due to age, sun, temp changes, shifting, etc.

DurhamHouses, you need to understand that many users come here BECAUSE they have problems they cannot solve and the pool store has only made worse. We have helped thousands here over the last 10-15 years and somehow managed to get their pools cleaned up and running nicely all on our own. Our advice is always intended to be clear, easy to follow, and, most important, effective. We also WELCOME new users and have answered the same elementary questions hundreds of times. That's what we are about. If you cannot accept that, this isn't the forum for you.

You are welcome to debate alternative treatments and techniques in the China Shop but not while we are working to help an OP clean up their pool. It is merely disruptive and confusing.
    Carl

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Default Re: Safe pH levels for vinyl pools

The joint study investigated the effect on vinyl of water pH between 2.0 and 10.0.
    To make claims like this, Durham, you'll need to provide a link to the study you're citing.

giroup01 is offline Registered+ Thread Analyst giroup01 0

Probably "Chemicals and Vinyl" by Don Ridpath, Pool & Spa marketing, 1998.

But this thread is all chopped up - where's the beginning?

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

It began where it shouldn't have, in the middle of a poster's questions about how to get his pool ready for vacation.

Is that article available online? If not, do you have a copy you can email me (poolforum AT gmail DOT com)? Who is Don Redpath?

Ben

giroup01 is offline Registered+ Thread Analyst giroup01 0

http://piscines-apollo.com/docs/chemicals_and_vinyl.pdf

Basically if the liner is discolored it means too much chlorine, if it's wrinkled it means pH too low. pH is what kills liners. The calcium content is dissolved and the liner swells up and wrinkles. Water with high chlorine concentration can then penetrate further into the liner. The liner loses its elasticity, it elongates etc, we've all seen it.
    Reseller of Taylor water-testing products for Canada

Actually, according to two different engineers -- 10+ years apart -- at Canadian General, the calcium content is mostly irrelevant. But, the swelling at low pH is consistent from all sources.

However, what you are saying about chlorine penetrating is also contradicted by all vinyl engineers I've spoken with -- the consensus I've encountered is that chlorine at pool levels (<100ppm) doesn't affect the vinyl sheeting, but CAN damage the printed patterns, and some dyes, especially medium blue.

Also, the article refers to a study, but doesn't cite it or state when and where it took place nor who conducted it. Nor is there any bio or CV info on "Donald Redpath". The article reads much like one of the "expert" articles from Service Industry News . . . and those aren't entirely trustworthy.

So, unless there's better info, I'm going to stick with the info Chem_Geek and I have been given by vinyl sheet mfg engineers.

Ben

+ Reply to Thread