+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Need help shocking my swamp of a pool

Smile Need help shocking my swamp of a pool

Hello,
    I have a pool which has been sitting closed with a canvas cover since 2009.

I just pulled off the cover and took in the beautiful sight of the swamp that was hiding under it !!!

It is green , dark and nasty.

I just added the following (right after the sun was off of the pool in the evening):
    2.8GAL of 6% bleach (each container was 1.4 GAL)
    Shock Out packets 2 lbs worth, each bag being 1lb ( I broadcasted it over the pool )
    Active Ingredients:
    Calcium Hypochlorite .. 68%
    Inert Ingredients .. 32%

After running the pump for 2 hours ( to mix the water ) I used a cheap strip kit to get the following numbers ( I know, don't say it, I will order the one from Amazon! )

FC = 1
    pH = 6.8
    TA = 40
    TH = 100
    CYA = 30-50

1. Should the pump be running or not?
    2. What should the CL level be to shock this pool?
    3. Which is better, the liquid bleach or the packets I mentioned above or something else?

Thanks for all the help in advance!!

- In ground pool size is 16x32ft , 3ft in the shallow end and 8ft in the deep end, has a liner.
    - I calculated 21,000 GAL. for the volume.
    - Hayward Perflex EC65 D.E. Filter
    - Hayward 1HP Superpump

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Default Re: Need help shocking my swamp of a pool

+ A test result of 6.8 means 6.8 OR below, not 6.8 exactly -- add borax, 2 boxes at time, till you get your pH above 6.8. It doesn't have to be much above, but pH below 6.5 can damage your liner.

+ Most likely, you have algal sludge on the pool bottom. You'll need to vacuum this to waste; you can't really remove it with a DE filter as it will plug the filter almost instantly. With a DE filter, it may be necessary to change the piping to make this possible.

+ Circulate your pool on bypass, not filter. If necessary, remove the filter internals so you don't plug them with algae, and don't have a valve that allows bypass ("recirculate") flow.

+ If you have sludge, adding chlorine and algicides may well be a waste, till the sludge is gone. That kind of gook can consume enormous amounts of chlorine, and then come back for more.

+ Once the sludge is gone, you can start work on the chemistry. Till then, just worry about the pH.

+ When you get your kit, test pH, TA, & CH only. Don't bother with chlorine or CYA -- there is none, and the kit only has enough CYA reagent for 4 tests. That's can be enough, if you only use it when you need it.

+ Plan on it taking a couple of weeks to clean up the pool. It might not take that long, but don't get your hopes up.

+ If you are in a real hurry, vacuum to waste till the pool is down to the lowest safe level -- with a vinyl pool this means 1' above the HIGHEST liner covered horizontal surface. Then start refilling AND adding bleach at the same time.

+ Reply to Thread