+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Repair PVC pipe?

Default Repair PVC pipe?

Hello everyone,
    Many thanks for the great info in this forum.

Can anyone please help with the following? I have searched the forum and so far not found the specific answer.

Our pool suddenly -- over 2-3 hours, anyway -- lost about 12" water down to the level of the Polaris supply pipe. The Polaris supply comes through a horizontal 5' x 2" PVC segment going level and straight out from the side of the pool to a 90 degree elbow. This entire pipe has been dug/exposed and the only apparent defect is not at a connector but is about 3-4 inches inside the mouth of the pipe at the plastic Polaris connector, a crack about 1/8 by 2 inches in upper wall of the pipe, within the portion of the PVC pipe that passes through the concrete of the pool wall.

It looks like it's from shear stress as the underground segment of the pipe flexed and the concrete held the last few inches immobile.

So, long back story...now a question: what's the best substance, like Permatex/Form a Gasket, Blue Glue, silicone sealant etc. to apply to the crack inside the PVC pipe that would plug the leak?

I'd like to try the easy way first, before thinking about complete pipe replacement.

Thanks!

22,000 gallon IG Gunite pool
    DE screen-type Anthony VA-52 vertical filter
    Polaris automatic pool sweep

BigDave is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars

Default Re: Repair PVC pipe?

Is the crack in the pipe or in the fitting for the Polaris connector?

PVC is pretty straighforward to work with. A couple couplers, a length of pipe and some PVC primer/cleaner and glue can't be harder than trying to fill the crack with goo. You've already done the hard work digging it out, why not make a repair that will last? I suppose another option short of replacing the broken section of pipe would be a pipe repair patch or leak stop - I've seen these as a rubber cylinder (split to slip over/around pipe) with a steel band arounf the entire rubber cylinder and a couple band clamps aroung that - I doubt this would last long buried.
    12'x24' oval 7.7K gal AG vinyl pool; ; Hayward S270T sand filter; Hayward EcoStar SP3400VSP pump; hrs; K-2006; PF:16

Thank you for the reply. You're right, the correct fix usually is better than the quick fix...

Can you recommend how to replace the segment of pipe that goes through the side of the pool, where it's encased by the concrete wall of the pool? Your guidance is much appreciated!

Steve C.

PS apologies -- forgot to provide the info you asked -- the crack is in the PVC pipe.

As time passes, however, not sure whether the leak is at the flaw in the PVC pipe or at the union of the threaded Polaris connector and the PVC pipe.

Thanks!

waste is offline PF Support Team Whizbang Spinner waste 3 stars waste 3 stars waste 3 stars

Welcome to the Forum!

Please answer BigDave's question. How thick is the wall and how far into the crete is the break?
    Luv & Luk, Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill libraries

+ Reply to Thread