+ Reply to Thread

Thread: My pool is now yellow, I'm a bit freaked out

Default My pool is now yellow, I'm a bit freaked out

I've just started the switch over from Baquacil to Chlorine today around 6 PM. My Shock and Baquacil levels where normal, not low, and I still had green algae growing. My local pool store sold me 10 gallons of Pro Clor, which is a 12.5% chlorine solution and told me to put in 1 gallon every 12 hours till it starts holding a chlorine level. I've got strips to measure with. They said it may take up to a week.

I've had Baqacil for almost 10 years in an above ground 24' round pool. I initially had a DE filter but switched to a sand filter after the first year because the Baquacil kept clogging it. It has been getting harder for the last few years to keep the algae out. I've already spent over $500 this year in chemicals and I still have green algae growing. When I searched for help on how to solve me algae problem, there was a overwhelming number of posts saying to switch to Chlorine, so here I am.

I have to say I'm a bit freaked by the yellow color but am hoping for the best.

My questions:
    1) With the Prochlor, how much, ball park, do you think I should add at a time. I've read that I should keep it between 12-15 ppm, but it isn't even measurable yet.
    2) When I finish, will it still be an option for me to go with a salt system if I choose to? I assumed that since it is still chlorine based that I could shift if I wanted after I have converted.

Thanks in advance,
    Rick

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Default Re: My pool is now yellow, I'm a bit freaked out

What you are experiencing doesn't sound unusual for a Baquacil conversion. Read the sticky's in this forum section on the topic.

+ You'll need to replace your sand, after you finish the conversion.
    + Yes, you can run a salt system (SWCG) once you've converted. Read the sticky's there, first though.
    + Don't worry about a residual till you have converted. It sounds like your store gave you reasonable advice. (Pool stores are not ALWAYS wrong ;-)
    + FYI, 1 gallon of Pro-Chlor = 2 gallons of plain 6% household bleach = ? ppm in your pool (no way to tell, without knowing pool gallons!)

Default Re: My pool is now yellow, I'm a bit freaked out

Thanks much

+ Reply to Thread