+ Reply to Thread

Thread: hardness and costs

Michaela521 is offline ** No working email address ** Michaela521 0

Default hardness and costs

Hi all,

As we all know calcium hypochlorite will raise hardness in pool water. The water that I use (well water) is hard at 1000ppm so I keep it from forming scale by reducing the ph to 7.0 and the total alkalinity to 80ppm. I can use city water but that water costs about 300 dollars to fill the pool while the well water is free. Question is what type of water would you choose. Additionally if I where to use calcium hypochlorite for my pool how high would it raise the hardness everytime I shock with it. 25000 gallon pool, shock every week. What is your professional opinion. thanks.

PatL34 is offline Lifetime Member Widget Weaver PatL34 2 stars PatL34 2 stars

Default Re: hardness and costs

Quote Originally Posted by Michaela521
    Hi all,

As we all know calcium hypochlorite will raise hardness in pool water. The water that I use (well water) is hard at 1000ppm so I keep it from forming scale by reducing the ph to 7.0 and the total alkalinity to 80ppm. I can use city water but that water costs about 300 dollars to fill the pool while the well water is free. Question is what type of water would you choose. Additionally if I where to use calcium hypochlorite for my pool how high would it raise the hardness everytime I shock with it. 25000 gallon pool, shock every week. What is your professional opinion. thanks.
    First, we are not professionals. If we were we would have to advertise that fact. We are mainly poolowners who have lots of experience with operating pools.

Second. Keeping the pH down to 7.0 is borderline towards creating other problems on your pool. If you can operate at 7.2 - 7.6 pH this would be easier on your system.

Third. Why do you have to use shock, when regular bleach can do the same job without adding calcium? The calcium hypochlorite will continue to add calcium to your pool, regardless of how much you put in.

Your best solution with your well water is to add a water softener, to remove the calcium, if this is the only way to add water on a full refill or topping up.
    The cost of the water softener will pay for itself a lot quicker than using city water, which at 20 ppm CH has to be softened somewhat.

Hope this helps you to get out of your "Catch 22" situation, and by all means let us know how you make out.

Pat
    Last edited by PatL34; 05-12-2006 at 08:26 PM.

+ Reply to Thread