+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Update-chalking paint

Default Update-chalking paint

Just thought I'd give an update on the paint situation. Looks like the mono-epoxy stuff we used is crap. As soon as we started using the pool this summer, the paint started coming loose in some areas of the pool, especially the benches and steps, and peeling off in big pieces. I can see blisters and cracks in the deeper parts of the pool also. Just so everyone knows, the paint we used was LifeGuard Mono-Epoxy over their etching primer. Both are sold by Top Secret Coatings, which sells many types of paint over the internet. Some people claim to have had success with their pool paint, but I'm not one of them. The vendor says the paint failed because of moisture corruption before the paint was fully cured. I say hogwash, but that's between me and them. Just be forewarned that this paint is apparently very, very difficult to apply properly. I followed all the instructions faithfully, but apparently that wasn't good enough. DIYers beware!

All that means that we will have to drain the pool again, remove the finish(sandblasting this time), and try something else. Ben, I gather that you are not a big fan of painting pools, so what do you think of replastering? If a replaster job is done right and maintained properly, will it last a good long time? I'm at the point where I'm a little gun-shy about painting again, so my wife and I are seriously thinking about replastering, even though it is quite expensive. Any thoughts or guidance you may have would be welcome.

Dan
    Inground gunnite/plaster/fiberglass, 30,000 gal.
    Sand filter-PacFab Superflow (using crushed glass), 1 HP Hayward Super Pump
    Natural gas heater-RayPak

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Default Re: Update-chalking paint

Actually, I've repainted pools numerous times, successfully.

But, I've ONLY used Kelly Technical's epoxy, and I've been very careful with the application. Applying epoxy successfully is difficult in that there's little room to 'fudge': you do it right, or it fails. It's not highly skilled, but it is picky.

Most of the paint jobs I've seen other contractors do have been failures.

Delamination, like you describe is usually a bond failure. Two common causes are dirt / dust on the primer or allowing the primer to cure too long.

OK, so any opinions on paint versus replastering? Which would offer a better useful, relatively trouble-free product lifetime if properly maintained?

Dan

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Plaster life expectancy -- with a high quality job -- is often given as 10 years. I've seen it last longer than that, but it depends on water chemistry, installer skill . . . and some unknown factors.

Plaster composition has changed over the past 25 years, due to a variety of regulations. There's no final conclusion about the effects of these changes, but the consensus seems to be the current composition is not as durable as what was installed in older pools.

Paint life varies. Kelley Technical lists their epoxies as up to 7 years. But when *I* have used it -- heavy coat of Gunzite followed by a heavy coat of Zeron -- I've gotten 5 years. The results I've seen from OTHER contractors trying to use it have ranged from 1 - 3 years, either because of application errors, or because they were trying to go too thin.

Using epoxy paint requires LESS skill than plaster. But, plaster can be applied under a wider range of weather conditions than epoxy paint can be, and application requires are not quite so picky.

So . . . neither choice is 'ideal'.

One point to consider: you can do epoxy yourself, if you follow the directions. You cannot do a good job with plaster yourself; the application skill has to be acquired with considerable practice in mixing and using a trowel rapidly and effectively.

I should explain that our financial situation was significantly improved recently, that is why replastering is now a viable option for us. I have no illusions about trying something like that myself. I really don't want to get back down in that pool and work my backside off again stripping paint, which is why we will be hiring a pool renovation contractor to sandblast the old finish off no matter what new finish we pick. We are leaning towards replastering(done by a pool renovation contractor) because it seems to promise the longest life if cared for properly. If anyone knows of another finish that offers longer life, I'd be glad to hear about it.

Dan

Tried the painting route a few years ago. Big mistake. Was not cheap, and started flaking after the first season. It was only a temporary fix, plus it added more cost to the plaster job.

Had the pool replastered two years later for $2500. Best money I've spent yet on the pool, made a huge difference in keeping the water clear and the enjoyment of the pool. Bad plaster makes for a bad pool.

Have you gotten bids for the plaster? You might be suprised. Also, get multiple bids. We got bids from $2000 up to $5000.
    ~18K gal IG Gunite -- 1-HP Pentair Whisper Flo with new 2-speed motor. Intermatic T1000 Dual Speed Timer -- Tagelus 60D sand filter
    Hayward SWCG (up to 40K gal.) -- Polaris 280 and booster pump -- Rainbow (now Pentair) in-line chlorine Feeder.

+ Reply to Thread