+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Aquabot Xpress Vac stops intermittently

Question Aquabot Xpress Vac stops intermittently

The robot pool cleaner suddenly just halts its progress across the pool floor. The transformer continues but everything else just dies. When I start to pull it out of the water it will usually start again. After a few minutes of normal operation it just stops again.

It is not a matter of worn belts because I have pulled the unit close to the surface when it is in its frozen state and nothing is moving.

There are two major parts in the unit, the pump and I what I imagine is the computer. Is it likely to be the computer? (Anybody else had this problem?)

TomC is offline PF Supporter Thread Analyst TomC 0

Default Re: Aquabot Xpress Vac stops intermittently

When the aquabot stops moving, is it still pumping water? These units have 2 separate motors in them, one for the drive mechanism and one for the pump. If both motors stop working, I would think it is either the on board microprocessor, a thermal protection switch kicking on to prevent damage from overheating, or a problem with the electricity getting to the unit. I guess this could be a problem with the cord, the outlet, or the transformer. Does your unit have a reset switch on it, perhaps that is may be problematic.

If the unit keeps pumping water but has stopped moving then the drive motor may be shot. These motors are pricey, and if your vac is more than a few years old it may not be worth it to purchase a new one, maybe better to buy a new aquabot instead.

These robots are pretty easy to take apart, I'd do just that and make sure that the rollers themselves aren't the issue.

Good Luck,

Tom
    20'x42' L' 41K gal IG vinyl pool; trichlor feeder, bleach; Pentair 420 cartridge filter; Pentair Whisperflo 1.5hp 2 speed pump; hrs; TF-100, CYA test; city;PF:2.9

Thank you for your considered response, Tom. Actually, the problem turned out to be much simpler than I thought -- and this should be a "heads-up" for the owner of any robot pool cleaner that has an electrical cord running from the transformer on land to the unit in the water.

Although some pool companies will make a big thing out of repairing these machines when they stop and start intermittently, the problem 99% of the time is the cord where it exits the robot. (I learned this from an unusually candid service technician.) With the constant twisting and turning of the machine as it cleans and the stress the pool owner puts it to when s\he pulls it from the pool, wires inside the cord become frayed and/or broken. (This is why the experts tell you never to wrap the electrical cord around a power tool.)

I simply cut about five feet of cord from the end that enters the robot and then rewired it. Usually there is more than enough cord to permit shortening. Presto! It works like new.

Again, Tom, many thanks for taking the time to respond to my query.

[BTW, all readers of this thread should know that Aquabot troubleshooting queries directed to the company head office is a total waste of time. They never even return your calls.]

TomC is offline PF Supporter Thread Analyst TomC 0

Glad it was an easy fix for you! I love my aquabot, it's become indespensible to me.

Tom
    20'x42' L' 41K gal IG vinyl pool; trichlor feeder, bleach; Pentair 420 cartridge filter; Pentair Whisperflo 1.5hp 2 speed pump; hrs; TF-100, CYA test; city;PF:2.9

+ Reply to Thread