+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: SG effect on aluminum?

Default SG effect on aluminum?

I am thinking about installing a chlorine generator on a 15x24ft above ground pool. The walls are corrugated aluminum, and the top seats and verticals are extruded aluminum. Will the salt have a corrosive effect on the aluminum?

PopcornGirl is offline ** No working email address ** Thread Analyst PopcornGirl 0

Default Re: SG effect on aluminum?

Hi kjmelak!

I know absolutely NOTHING about SWG's but I remembered reading a thread not too long ago that addressed this very question...
    You can read the answer HERE
    Scroll down to Mark_WATERMAID's answer...
    Hope that helps!

PatL34 is offline Lifetime Member Widget Weaver PatL34 2 stars PatL34 2 stars

Quote Originally Posted by kjmelak
    I am thinking about installing a chlorine generator on a 15x24ft above ground pool. The walls are corrugated aluminum, and the top seats and verticals are extruded aluminum. Will the salt have a corrosive effect on the aluminum?

Yes, it will. I only have to look at my Aluminum pool rakes and fittings that tells me. Salt and Aluminum do not mix.

Hope this helps.

Pat
    Last edited by PatL34; 05-12-2006 at 06:21 PM.

Who makes your pool?

Many companies are now putting clauses in their warranties and will not warranty pools with salt systems installed.

Am I better off going with steel, or resin?

You will need either a steel or aluminum wall - resin walls aren't made. The frame itself however can be made from resin, steel, or aluminum.

Hi kjmelak

We have been absolutely clear on our position when it comes to above ground pools. There are corrosion issues that need to be realized before you go ahead and install ANY salt chlorinator on an above ground pool. The sad reality is that most of the other manufactures are now marketing an above ground pool model to capture the market in these pools. I don’t think that Autopilot is pushing a model for above ground pools (perhaps Sean can clarify this) but Watermaid definitely DOES NOT push salt chlorinator use on above ground pools. With that said, there are still Watermaid units on above ground pools out there but we have had a heart to heart talk with every customer and advised them that although there are a lot of good reasons to install a salt system, they also need to be aware of the down side.

Perhaps the best way to deal with this question is to go to the manufacturer of the pool and see what they think of salt chlorinator use on their pools and what it will do to the warranty. If the walls corrode and blow out in 5 years, I bet there will be a lot of finger pointing from all camps and it will without a doubt be you left to pay for the problems. We would rather have people laugh at us for missing a huge market than be blamed for not warning people of the possible down side

Mark Manning
    Watermaid Canada
    www.watermaid.ca
    mark@watermaid.ca

Not to beat a dead horse but...

If there is such concern over AG pools, why isn't there same concern for IG steel pools? Water certainly will come in contact via splashing and possible leaks. Wouldn't the effects be the same?

PatL34 is offline Lifetime Member Widget Weaver PatL34 2 stars PatL34 2 stars

Yes, but not as catastrophic as an AG pool. More a nuisance.

Pat.
    20,000 Gallon IG Diamond Brite pool, 1.5 HP Sta-Rite pump, Hayward Microclear DE3600 filter, Favco solar panels, Poolpilot DIG-220 with SC-48 cell.

+ SWCG OPERATION thread here: http://www.poolforum.com/pf2/showthread.php?t=1226
    + SWCG Running Costs post here: http://www.poolforum.com/pf2/showthread.php?t=316
    + Effective Stabilizer addition post here: http://www.poolforum.com/pf2/showthread.php?p=6645

AutoPilot also does not market an above ground salt chlorine generator. However, I can only provide examples that I personally know of. Our in-line cell have been used on larger above ground pools for years without any damage. I think if you get into a maintenance program of spraying off the walls so the salt gets rinsed down or diluted, you're less prone to corrosion due to the salt. We have the benefit of alot of rain and lawn sprinklers to wash down the salt here in South Florida.
    Sean Assam
    Commercial Product Sales Manager - AquaCal AutoPilot Inc. Mobile: 954-325-3859
    e-mail: sean@teamhorner.com --- www.autopilot.com - www.aquacal.com

+ Reply to Thread