+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Help water is green ?

Default Help water is green ?

I need to know what to do pool store said to use 8 bags of shock and 6 the next day and 4 the next day ...I cant get this water clear i am so upset with this pool this year ...please someone help me ..the pool is above ground 27 round ..i need to get it clear cant see the bottom ..thanks

KurtV is offline Registered+ Widget Weaver KurtV 0

Default Re: Help water is green ?

SM, You really need to post your water test results for anyone here to be able to help you. The results they'll need are free chlorine (FC), combined chlorine (CC), pH (pH), total alkalinity (TA), calcium hardness (CH), and cyanuric acid (CYA aka stabilizer).

Do you have a drops type test kit? If not, did the pool store test your water before selling you the "shock"?

Sherra is offline Lifetime Member Weir Watcher Sherra 0

First, test your water and post your numbers for these tests to the "gurus" here can give you more detailed advice:

Combined Chlorine
    Free Chlorine
    Total Chlorine
    pH
    Alkalinity
    Calcium Hardness
    CYA (cyanuric acid/stabilizer/conditioner)

Your chlorine level needs to be keept at a minimum level according to Ben's Best Guess Chart (depends on the amount of CYA you've got in your pool) until the water clears up. What the pool store told you might be overkill.

27' above ground round? How deep?
    Sherra
    Kershaw County South Carolina
    18x34 IG 2' radius rectangle vinyl liner (approx 27,500 gal) 1 1/2" pipes installed March 2006
    (previous AG pool owner)

Only have a kit that test chlorine ,bromine and ph will this work ..No they did not test it i just told them what it still loked like

KurtV is offline Registered+ Widget Weaver KurtV 0

Test the chlorine and pH with your test kit and post those numbers to start. Also post what type of test kit you're using (strips or drops based).

You need to get a drops based test kit as soon as you can. Alternatively, you can take a water sample to a pool store and have them test it for you but the quality of pool store employees and test methodologies is highly variable.

Ok I have blue water but very cloudy ..here are my readings cl is 5.0 and and ph is 8.2 and the pool is very cloudy put lots of shock.also have a jacuzzi sand filter and it is 27 above ground pool .thanks for any advice that you can give me ...
    Last edited by sierrasmom; 05-15-2006 at 12:59 PM.

Sherra is offline Lifetime Member Weir Watcher Sherra 0

Do you use chlorine or bromine to sanitize your pool? You shouldn't have both a chlorine AND bromine reading. When you say you "put lots of shock", exactly what did you add and how much? You've said it's a 27' above ground, but how deep is it?
    Sherra
    Kershaw County South Carolina
    18x34 IG 2' radius rectangle vinyl liner (approx 27,500 gal) 1 1/2" pipes installed March 2006
    (previous AG pool owner)

sorry chlorine not bromine ..also it is a 27 by 54 round I use 10 lns on saturday ,8 sunday and 6 today .my ph is 8.2

Quote Originally Posted by sierrasmom
    sorry chlorine not bromine ..also it is a 27 by 54 round I use 10 lns on saturday ,8 sunday and 6 today .my ph is 8.2
    Hi, You really need to get the ph down. 8.2 is the highest that your test can register it could be much higher. You need to get some muriatic acid from home depot or somewhere like that. start with one quart poured very carefully into the pool and stirred up. check the ph a couple of hours later and adjust again. be careful with the muratic acid it can be nasty. sun glasses and rubber gloves are in order, but it is the easiest way to lower PH.
    Getting the ph in line may help with the cloudiness as well. make sure that your chlorine level is high enough. Try to use bleach only, the shock you may be using if powdered could be adding to the cloudiness. Try to let us know a full report on your water cl ph alk cya. Mabye then we can help more.
    ken

waterbear is offline Lifetime Member Sniggle Mechanic waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars

Exclamation Re: Help water is green ?

DO NOT ADD ACID RIGHT NOW. YOUR PH IS NOT 8.2! you just put 24 lbs of shock ( I assume it's cal hypo, most commen type of shock in 1 lb bags) into your pool in 3 day's time. Your chlorine levels are probably MUCH higher than 5 ppm. If so the pH test is not accurate since it is affected by high chlorine readings. All you can tell about th pH when the chlorine levels are high is that if it looks purple then the pH is ABOVE 6.6 but you don't know how much above. Wait for the chlorine level to drop before adding any acid!
    Ok I have blue water but very cloudy
    You stated that you have blue water but very cloudy. Cal Hypo shock can cause the water to turn cloudy! You just put 24 bags of it into about 17,000 gal of water and you have no idea of your alkalinity and calcium hardness. This can be a formula for a cloudy or even milky pool that is VERY slow to clear. This is one of the reasons that everyone has been telling you to get your water tested and post the numbers!

You need to take a sample to the pool store and get the water tested and then post the results on here. OR...go to walmart and get their $15 dollar 6 way test kit. It will do a decent job but it only tests for Total Chlorine and the Calcium Hardness test has some issued but it is much better than nothing! You need to post a complete set of numbers.

Do not wait....go to the pool store with a water sample and let them test it ...or get the walmart 6 way or 5 way kit and test it yourself and post the numbers!

If you want to get your pool clear and swimmable and not waste a lot of money on unnecessary chemicals then get the water tested and post the results ASAP.

Hope this is helpful!
    Retired pool store and commercial pool maintenance guy.

+ Reply to Thread