+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Sudden cloudiness

Barry J is offline Registered+ Thread Analyst Barry J 0

Default Sudden cloudiness

I went in the pool last night and it was perfect, I had a mask on and I could see from one end of the pool to the other, clear as day.
    The filter was off during the night, we have been having 90 degree weather lately.
    I got up this morning and the pool still looked great at 8am.
    I started the filter, and mixed up some shock and algaeside and dumped it into the pool and then added a little "quick clear"..Just to stay ahead of the warmth and algae.
    Then almost immediately the pool went cloudy...I went to work figureing it was from all the chemicals and that it would clear up in a couple of hours.
    My wife called at 5pm and said the pool was still cloudy.
    What could cause this???
    I plan on running the filter all night tonight to see if it will clear, but could something be wrong with my filter??/ (sand filter) It has been running with no problem lately.
    Or is it that I put to much chemicals in and it will take awhile, I put in half a scoop of chorine, probably 4-5 oz of the algaecide, 2 oz of "quick clear" and a little shock.
    Any suggestions
    thanks
    Barry

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Default Re: Sudden cloudiness

The only thing needed to stay ahead of the algae is adequate chlorine levels. What kind of algaecide was it? What is the ingredient of "quick clear" and the chlorine you added?

Post a full set of current water testing results taken with a drops-based kit. Tell us the type of pool and volume. Don't add any more "stuff" to the pool. Run the pump 24/7 and backwash if the pressure rises 5-10 psi over your clean filter pressure.

Since, I wasn't going to be around for 3 days due to working 14 hours per day, I decided to take the proactive approach. I've had too many times that I didn't put chemicals in for three days and came back to green ring around the bottom of my pool. And add in the 90-105 degree temps these past days, I did not want to chance the algae build up.

"if not broke don't fix it"...that approach don't work well with pools, it called upkeep not trying to catch up with an algae problem.

I'm sure once I run the chemicals thru for a while it will clear up, like it has in the past...but thanks for your colorful comments and great suggestions

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Barry,
    I don't think anyone gave "colorful comments." In fact, in post #2 above, I asked you for some information so that I could try and help you straighten this out. If you would like to give the requested information, we will be glad to help you with this.

Have you read any at our sister site www.poolsolutions.com? If not, you might take some time to do so. There is lots of good information there about basic pool maintenance that might be helpful for you. Also, read the BBB Method of Swimming Pool Care in my signature below.

Again, we will be happy to help you if you like.

Watermom,
    It appears to be clearing out, since running the filter over night, I think I just put too much chemicals in.
    But here are the chemicals I use:
    Quick Clear
    1200 Corporate Dr.
    Burlington, ON L7L 5R6
    Canada

ACCU 50 Algaecide
    95 Hathaway Center
    Providence, RI 02907
    Active ingredients:
    n-Alkyl (60%C14, 30%C16, 5%C12, 5%C18)
    dimethyl benzyl
    ammonium chloride........................................49 .8%
    n-Dialkyl (60%C14, 30%C16, 5%C12, 5%C18)
    methyl benzyl
    ammonium chloride......................................0.2%
    INERT ingredients....................................... ..50%

SUPER SHOCK
    109 King Philip Rd
    East Providence, RI 02916
    Active ingredients:
    Sodium Hypochorite.....................12.5%
    Inert Ingredients.............................87.5%

Thanks
    Barry

aylad is offline SuperMod Emeritus Burfle Ringer aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars

The algaecide, being ammonia-based, will break down into several byproducts, ammonia included. The ammonia in itself can create a high chlorine demand, taking some of your useable chlorine away from its normal job of killing algae. That's why the only algaecide that we recommend here is polyquat 60, which is NOT ammonia based, and also works as a clarifier (same as your quick clear). Sounds to me like you had an algae bloom trying to happen. If so, the shock and algaecide that you added may have stopped it for now, but it won't for long.

If you could please post the test results that Watermom asked for above, it would help us help you to figure out what happened, and how to have it not happen again.

waterbear is offline Lifetime Member Sniggle Mechanic waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars

Barry,
    in the other forum you posted this problem in you said the only water testing you do is with your face-mask and nose. You said that if you can't see across the pool with the mask you dump in chemicals. I answered you in that other forum that we could not help you there. I also told you that mixing sodium hjypchlorite and a linear quat algaecide together was counter productive.

I don't think you will get much help here either unless you test your water.

I would strongly suggest going to the PoolSolutions website, reading everything on it, rereading it, then reading all the stickies in the forum, read them all again. and retiring the facemask and getting yourself a decent test kit and learn how to take care of your pool. If not you are going to be pretty much on your own.
    Retired pool store and commercial pool maintenance guy.

I will test my water.
    Since, I have not tested in some time..being the fact that when i did bring my sample to the pool store, and they analyze it..they try to sell me $150 worth of chemicals.
    What would be the best way to test it and not have to take out a loan???
    thanks
    Barry

You should order a good test kit and that way you know your readings are right. We recommend the Taylor K-2006 or 2006C (same kit, bigger bottles). You can order it through the Amazon link in my signature below. If the seller listed is not Amato Industries, wait a day or so and try again when they restock. Some of the other sellers send the K-2005 instead. You don't want that one.

Pool stores usually test for free and you don't have to buy anything. Let them test it one last time so we can have a current CYA reading, but don't buy anything. Resist! They have already earned enough of your money. Post your readings.

Until your kit arrives, go to Walmart and get a cheap OTO/Phenol Red kit (yellow and red drops) for around $5 I think. Use that to test chlorine and pH daily. The OTO does not replace the need for a good kit. You still need that.

Once we know the CYA level, we can suggest what chlorine levels you need for your pool.

I went to Walmart and picked up a 6 way test kit.

Here are my results:
    My pool is above ground oval 33x18 at 4ft.

When I did Total Chlorine/total bromine test the water was essentially clear, so I'm est. at <0.5ppm Chlorine
    and <1ppm Bromine.

When I did Ph, I got either 7.2 or lower depending on when I held the tested against, against white paper was about 7.2, against the blue sky < 7.2

Total Alkalinity was 3 drops = 30ppm
    Hardness indicator was 18 drops = 180ppm
    And cyanuric acid test...well the water remained clear, and at no point was it "milky" so I could see the black dot at the bottom of the view tube with the full amount in.

So, how bad is it???
    Thanks
    Barry

+ Reply to Thread