+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Sand filter at 40psi. No return and skimmers seem to be leaking? HELP!!

Default Sand filter at 40psi. No return and skimmers seem to be leaking? HELP!!

We started up our pool this year with little issue and it has been working great. We like everywhere around the midwest have had almost 100 degree weather everyday with little rain. This caused a ton of alge and cloudiness in my water. So my wife was using a ton of clairifier. I started to notice that the sand filter was at 40psi more and more. So I changed the sand filter sand and assumed it would fix the issue. Well during the time I was going to get sand and time to change the filter I noticed tons of bubbles or air in the returns. I shutoff the skimmers and the bubbles disappeared.
    Anyways I changed the sand and rehooked everything up. It was fine for a few days but all of a sudden I have 40 psi again and no flow. I am still just coming off the main drain as I have not had a chance to look more into the skimmers. I am not sure what or where to check about this 40psi no flow issue? Any suggestion?

Thanks in advance,
    Jason

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Default Re: Sand filter at 40psi. No return and skimmers seem to be leaking? HELP!!

Hi jspec and welcome to the Pool Forum!

100 degree weather and no rain do not cause algae. Low chlorine levels cause algae. Can you please post a compete set of current water testing results taken with a drops-based kit? Make sure that CYA is one of the readings you give us. Also tell us the type of pool and volume and exactly what all you have added to the pool, meaning ingredients and not product names.

Regarding pressure on your filter --- I assume you have been backwashing?

I only have the 7 pad test strips. I have been meaning to get a test kit. I assumed it was from the heat but it could be the no flow. I have a clorine feeder inline. The free chlorine has been ok everytime I have tested. Thw numbers I get right now are
    Total hardness 250
    total chlorine 2-3ppm it is a little darker than 2
    free chlorine 1ppm
    PH 6.2-6.8
    total alkalinity 40 ppm
    cyanuric acid 0

As far as what we have added just the 3" tabs in the chlorinator and some conditioner.

Oh My pool is a gunite inground pool. and about 38000 gallons. I have a 300 lbs sand filter 400k heater and automatic chlorinator. The pool has a main drain and 2 skimmers and 3 returns. It is a lazy L shape.
    Last edited by Watermom; 07-23-2011 at 02:22 PM. Reason: merge posts

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Default Re: Sand filter at 40psi. No return and skimmers seem to be leaking? HELP!!

If you have been using an automatic chlorinator, then you have some CYA. Probably LOTS of it. Test strips are pretty worthless. You really need a good kit. In the meantime, do you have a reputable pool store who can run a set of tests for you? Just don't let them talk you into buying a bunch of stuff. Post the numbers -- especially CYA. We can't really advise you well without knowing what that reading is. (See the Best Guess Chlorine Chart in my signature below.)

A critical problem (if your numbers are right) is your pH! Anything below 7.0 is acidic and will damage your pool. Please go to Walmart today and pick up a cheap OTO/Phenol Red kit (yellow and red drops) and test. Also pick up several boxes of 20 Mule Team Borax (laundry aisle). Post your pH reading ASAP. Once we confirm your low pH, we'll instruct you on how much Borax to add. Also get a few boxes of baking soda. (Your pool store would also have the OTO kit, but not the Borax or baking soda.)

Have you been backwashing your filter?

FYI -- When you think of something you want to add or see a typo you want to fix or whatever a short time after you post, you can just click on the EDIT button in the lower right instead of writing another separate post.

I actually just found a older test kit from Leslie. No cya but it should get me close. I figured out that if I bypass the sand filter it seems to work fine. Why would my sand filter keep clogging eve after I backlash? The sand is not even a week old at this point. I will run by Walmart later to get some borax and baking soda.

I wish I could better advise about your filter, but that is just not my area. Hopefully somebody else will be along soon who can. Everybody must be busy today; nobody has been around the forum too much!

Poconos is offline SuperMod Emeritus Whizbang Spinner Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars

Jason,
    The 40psi is WAY high. I didn't see what pump you have but if it really is hitting 40 psi it has to be pretty powerful and with 38000 gallons I suspect it is. I wouldn't run it at 40 psi for long because if the flow gets totally blocked, which it almost is, you could ruin the pump. When totally blocked all the energy is going into heating the water in the pump chamber and it could get hot enough to damage or destroy the pump. Not the motor but the pump itself. When you changed the sand did you remove the laterals (filter guts) and inspect them? I'm thinking the slits that keep the sand from returning to the pool are plugged with whatever gunk was in there. Hate to say it but you'll probably have to remove the sand again. Also when you put the sand back, fill the filter about 1/3 full or water before adding the sand. This helps distribute the sand evenly at the bottom and will prevent damage to those laterals I mentioned.
    Al

I sure didn't remove the laterals. I really should have just bought new ones but I was in a bit of a time crunch. If I take the sand filter off the valve is there a chance I can flush the laterals out with a hose or something? Could it be the valve that has the issues?

Poconos is offline SuperMod Emeritus Whizbang Spinner Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars

I can't see how the valve would cause the 40 psi problem. If you remove the whole center column from the filter you can certainly clean the laterals. May take something like a boxcutter blade or a thin piece of something to clean the slits but you can do it. Not sure a garden hose would dislodge anything stuck in the slits. At he same time give the assembly a careful look for anything broken.
    Al

We just got back from the pool store they said water is perfect.
    Fac 2
    Tac 2
    Ph 7.4
    Ta 70
    Cya 60
    Calcium hardness 220
    Tds 500
    He also suggested removing some sand from the filter. Which I did a little while ago I will check the pressure when I get home.

+ Reply to Thread