+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Pool not priming

Default Pool not priming

Installed a new Hayward Northstar 1.5HP pump. I am not getting to prime. The water in the basket generally only fills about 3/4" full and appears like a pot of boiling water without reaching the clear lid. It is wired for 230. I have had priming problems with my prior pump as well. When I turn off the pump, water/air gushes back out the suction line opposite flow. On occasion I have also seen bubbles come up from the skimmer when trying to set of the pool vac. The filter is an old stainless steel filter original to the pool when I bought the house 13 yrs ago. I had installed all new skimmer lines (suction lines) last year with rigid schedule 40 PVC. I am in the process of replacing the return lines (supplying the pool) now, again with PVC. There is/was a substantial leak at one of the supply inlets. I can't even think about the possibility that a joint failed at the suction lines I replaced last year. The new lines will be complete this weekend.

Default Re: Pool not priming

Air has got to be getting into those lines somewhere. You must have a leak. Have you tried filling the skimmer with a hose before turning on the pump?

The filter starts on it's on it's own daily. Water is always in the skimmers. It's just that the pump never fully primes. Could it at all be a blockage? Have not tried anything with a hose.

Poconos is offline SuperMod Emeritus Whizbang Spinner Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars

When the pump is running and flow has stabilized, what is the pressure? The pump basket not filling can be due to some restriction on the pump output side like a plugged filter or line, high pressure, causing low flow. Or, could be an air leak on the suction side as Mikey suggested, low pressure. The water going back out the skimmer when you kill the pump could suggest a leak at the pump basket lid or a leak in the suction line above the water level. Make sure the pump basket gasket is clean and lightly lubed with silicone grease. I guess one other possibility is your multi-port valve on your filter if you have one, multi-port that is. If it is a sand filter you probably do and a leak in the valve to the waste port will cause that water gushing back to the skimmer problem too. Do you see any dribble out the waste line with the pump running? If it's a cartridge filter then I'm not sure. In any case, the filter type and pressure readings are valuable info.
    Al

You have an air leak in the suction side. hopefully not your new piping....try regreasing the pump basket lid then put it back on if that doesnt work then turn the lid slowly like your going to take it off again BUT DONT take it off -do so with the pump off ofcourse. The small amount u are opening the pump lid will allow just enough air in to create vacuum and slowly fill that basket to the top without the bubble. Then it should run without any turbulence. as far as i know you shouldnt be able to see any bubbles or turbulence through that pump lid or you have issues of some sort.

Poconos is offline SuperMod Emeritus Whizbang Spinner Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars

John, what I think you are trying to do applies to an above ground pool where the pump is below the water level. You are bleeding the air out of the chamber. With the pump above the water level this would just empty the chamber even further. This thread seems to be related to an inground pool and probably the pump is above the water level. The air bubble would normally be flushed out of the chamber with adequate flow. The running pressure is a big key to solving this problem.
    Al

+ Reply to Thread