+ Reply to Thread

Thread: how do i get rid of the dead algae

Hybrid View

So after about two weeks of shocking my pool, it is finally clear. Well, it was until I turned my creepers on. Its blue but has white residue , dead algae. There has to be a better way to get rid of the dead stuff than just filtering. Please help.

=======

this seems to be a difficult task getting rid of the dead algae with cartridge filters. What a bout a water clarifier or a floc to clump the dead stuff and scoop it out with a net? I have been running my filters 24/7 for 3 weeks now and now that i am at the point of getting rid of the dead algae, i am stumped.
    Last edited by PoolDoc; 07-20-2011 at 09:59 PM.
    23k gallons - Aqua-Rite salt system
    pebble-tec inground
    hayward super clear with paper cartridege filters - 1/2 hp pump

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Default Re: how do i get rid of the dead algae

Pretty much any properly working cartridge filter will remove DEAD (not live!) algae. If yours doesn't something's wrong with either your vacuum or your filter.

You can't clump algae so you can "scoop it out with a net" -- those products don't produce clumps that size. Are you using a hand vacuum? (Pole, hose, vac head) If not, try that.

I have been using the hayward creeper and it sucks it up but then just spits most of it out the returns and makes the pool cloudy. My filters are in good shape so i know they aren't the problem. do i just keep doing this and eventually it will all get caught or might there be a problem with my system? I'm stumped here. Thanks for the response PoolDoc
    pebble-tec inground

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Again, I'd strongly recommend using a manual vacuum, and vacuuming directly to the filters. If the stuff comes through the filters . . . your filters need work, or your cartridges need to be replaced.

You were right PoolDoc. My filter system was the problem. My bottom collector which the filters sit on and it sucks the water through the filters is all cracked up. this explains why the water coming from the returns is cloudy. i ordered a new one and i'm sure this will fix my problems and then hopefully, i will have a crystal clear pool. Had i fixed this in the beginning, i'm sure it would have been sparkling by now. Thanks again for the help.
    pebble-tec inground

You're welcome.

+ Reply to Thread