+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Tested Water to Start BBB method

Hybrid View

Default Tested Water to Start BBB method

Ok...Figured out how to use my testing kit. It's a taylor K-2006. This is just water out of my tap...since we are starting to fill the pool today.

Chlorine
    .6ppm FC
    .2ppm CC

PH Units

Alkalinity
    90ppm

Calcium Hardness
    90ppm
    I was going to test for the acid thing...but my CYA mark doesn't go up to 14ML...so I don't really know what to do with that.

Now I'm wondering what I'll need to add to get my pool up and running? I have everything here I should need for the BBB method. My pool is a 27ft round..and my husband tells me it holds about 19000 gals of water.

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Default Re: Tested Water to Start BBB method

Don't worry about testing the tap water for CYA as there will be none. No reason to waste the reagent. Don't test for it until a week after you have added it.

As your pool is filling, you may want to go ahead and drizzle in some bleach as each foot or two of water is added. Pour as far from the sides as you can reach, being careful not to splash you or the liner. Then, take a clean broom or oar or something and stir it around. When your pool is full, test the cl. Until you get some CYA (also called stabilizer or conditioner) in there, it will be hard to keep the chlorine from being lost to the sun. So, for the first week or so, you'll need to test at least morning and evening (and if you are home, can test in the afternoon as well) and each time add enough bleach to get the cl back up to about 5ppm. I think your volume is closer to a little over 17K gallons. I assume the pool walls are 52" tall? But, the water level will not be to the top of the wall, so you'll have more like a 4 ft depth. In a 17K gallon pool, each quart of 6% bleach will add just about 1ppm of chlorine. Use that as a reference to help you determine how much bleach to add each time you test.

Your Alk and CH are fine. (By the way, don't let a pool store talk you into adding calcium to your vinyl pool. NOT needed.) Your pH is fine at 7.2 but you don't want it any lower. If it drops any, you may want to bump it up with a little Borax.

You'll need to add some CYA. We typically suggest a level of around 40-50 for most pools. Let's have you start out by adding 5 lbs. slowly to the skimmer while the pump is running. Slowly so it doesn't clog pipes. That should take you to around 40ppm. Run your pump 24/7 for about 4 to 5 days to give it time to fully dissolve in the skimmer. Also, do not backwash or you'll just throw it out. (A new fill shouldn't need a backwash yet anyways.) About a week after adding it, test it. But, I wouldn't test it any sooner. No point to waste the reagents. Once your CYA is dissolved and in the water, you'll be able to go to testing and dosing with bleach in the evenings only.

The Taylor Technologies website has some online demos of testing that you might be interested in seeing. Here is the link:
    http://www.taylortechnologies.com/pr..._slideshow.asp
    (BTW -- I deleted your other post since you figured out how to run the tests.)

Do us a favor, please. To make it easier for us to help, if people will create a signature line with their pool specs, it keeps us from having to reread through posts to find out basic information. You can create a signature by clicking on 'settings' in the upper right-hand corner of the homepage. In your sig, please put type of pool, volume, type of filter, size of pump, whether or not you have a SWCG or any water features and the fact that you do or do not have a K-2006. Thanks!

Hope this helps. Come back if you have further questions and somebody will try and help.

Thank you soo much! This really helps me get everything started! My walls are actually 54"....we double checked that cause I know that isn't normal. And I won't let those pool store people push me around I'm just going in to by my filter and the stabilizer.
    ~Holly

27ft 16K gal round AGP --Hayward sand filter -- Pump- 1 1/2hp A.O Smith Using BBB method --- Taylor K-2006 -- PF=> 7.5

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

What size is the pump? Just a caution ----- many pool stores set people up with a too big pump and a too small filter. Not a good combination. If you tell the size of the pump you have, maybe one of our equipment gurus can suggest how big of a filter you need.

Well...I'm not exactly sure what size it is. It states its. 1.5 spl...and 60 Hz. And a bunch of other numbers. It's a smaller pump..and the filter is quite large. We got this pool from someone...so it's just what they had with it.
    ~Holly

27ft 16K gal round AGP --Hayward sand filter -- Pump- 1 1/2hp A.O Smith Using BBB method --- Taylor K-2006 -- PF=> 7.5

I've been adding Bleach every now and then. I tested the Chlorine today. I have 0 ppm of FC...and onlhy .2 ppm of CC. The pool is half full right now. Should I start pouring more bleach in? Or just wait til it's full?
    ~Holly

+ Reply to Thread