+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Johnny Weissmuller Pools

Default Johnny Weissmuller Pools

I am thinking about getting this pool:

http://www.johnnyweissmullerpools.com/jwsaharaoval.htm

Does anyone out there own one, and any positive or negative feedback?

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Default Re: Johnny Weissmuller Pools

I don't know much except I believe they are the less-expensive line from Esther Williams Pools.
    Carl

I don't have anything else to compare it to but we have a Johnny W. pool. The pool was purchased in 1990 and we are the third owners of the home where it is located. It's still in good condition. Our liner is now leaking but that has nothing to do with the pool construction. Who knows how many liners this pool has already had.

Here in the Valley of the sun the two biggest stores I install for both sell Doughboys. Why doesn't anyone ask about them? I would have to say that most of the upper end pools are very close in quality and it is important to price the package.

Dennis
    AG pool installer
    Arizona

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Dennis,
    If you could search through the PC forum (Pre-Crash) you would see literally HUNDREDS of posts on Dough-boy pools. They are generally considered one of the very top A/G circular and oval pools, though they have had some problems occasionally

But they are also a far better known brand than Johnny Weissmuller, which, I suspect, may be a more regional brand and is, I KNOW, the less expensive line of Esther Williams pools.
    Carl

As mentioned above Esther and Johnny pools are both made by the same company, Delair. Delair makes very good pools and they are completely aluminum. Aluminum will outlast steel. Doughboy makes a good pool however, all of their pools are going to have steel walls. As far as steel pools go, Doughboy makes one of the better lines.

Josh

Quote Originally Posted by JoshU
    As mentioned above Esther and Johnny pools are both made by the same company, Delair. Delair makes very good pools and they are completely aluminum. Aluminum will outlast steel. Doughboy makes a good pool however, all of their pools are going to have steel walls. As far as steel pools go, Doughboy makes one of the better lines.

Josh

I thought the steel (galvanized walls) with the stainless steel service panel was much better than the aluminum pools without the steel service panel. Am I wrong??? How does one decide to go with aluminum or steel. If the aluminum is better, one would save money buying a pool made of aluminum w/o steel service panel.

Some things to consider:
    You wouldn't add a steel panel to an aluminum wall.
    Aluminum is more expensive than steel.
    A steel pool with a stainless steel or aluminum panel should outlast a regular steel pool. However, only 4 ft. of your wall is being protected by the panel while the rest is still steel and can easily rust if a pinhole leak develops. The problem is, the leak will be between the wall and the liner and you'll probably never notice it until the problem becomes too severe.

Just wanted to let you know my thoughts on walls. I'm in the pool industry and have seen an uncountable number of steel pools fail, many with stainless steel panels installed.

Josh

The aluminum pools in Memphis are not more expensive than the steel. So, contradictory to everyone else's opinion, I could buy the less expensive aluminum pool (the ones that people say fall down, break, etc.) and it would be okay! If the aluminum is stronger, why should I avoid the aluminum???

This is worse than car shopping.

It's not that aluminum is stronger than steel, it's that steel will rust easily. Aluminum won't rust. It can corrode, but it takes many, many years to corrode (if it ever does) and as long as it's backed by a good company than you should be just fine.

It's very odd to find to an aluminum pool that is less expensive than steel.

What brand steel pools are you looking at?

Josh

+ Reply to Thread