+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hayward Super Pump is Super Noisy

Question Hayward Super Pump is Super Noisy

Hello all, i am thrilled that there is a forum that I can come and ask my questions to. I just replaced all the seals and stuff on my hayward super pump with a GO KIT 3. The pump no longer leaks but is very noisy, any suggestions? Thanks!

Poconos is offline SuperMod Emeritus Whizbang Spinner Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars

Default Re: Hayward Super Pump is Super Noisy

Welcome to the forum.
    Was it noisy before you changed the seals or is this something that has recently developed? How old is the pump ? Does the noise change as the motor heats up? Without any more to go on I'm leaning toward bearing noise.
    Al

Al,
    Thanks for replying! Immediately before replacing all the seals, gaskets and impellor the pump was very quiet, just as it had been for as long as i have owned it, but leaked a lot of water. The pump is a spx1610, i think that it is pretty old, perhaps even the original pump with the pool (early 1980's). I replaced all of the seals, gaskets, and my impellor, put everything back together, leaks stopped, but noise started. I took everything apart this morning to see if i missed something, or perhaps the ceramic seals were not lined up, but nothing. the noise seems to be originating near the rear of the pump and resonating from there. I am getting better pump pressure than ever, but it is so loud that it makes it difficult to enjoy swimming over the noise. The noise does not seem to subside as the pump heats up, if it does, it is not noticably. Thanks again for everything!

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

There are some switches in the rear of the motor on most of those pumps, as well as a rear motor bearing. Al knows more about them than I do (most of the pumps I've worked on are 5HP or above), but several others know quite a lot as well.

If you can take off the end bell on your particular motor, you might do so. Even if you don't see anything obvious, you can run the pump with the bell off, and see if that allows you to localize the sound better. The capacitor (if present) and switches can be replaced if they are defective.

You can also replace the bearings on the motor, but I've never done that myself.

Thanks for the advice, i am not terribly familiar with all of the parts in the back of the pump, but i will try to get a drawing and match up some of the things that you mentioned and see if i can centralize the problem. Thanks for everything and i will keep you posted!

drband is offline Lifetime Member Thread Analyst drband 0

can you describe the noise? Might help someone figure this out.
    10,000 gallon IG vinyl liner pool, BBB user, salt added to 2300 ppm (because it makes the water feel great!), new liner/new water on 6/23/11, algae-free since 2006 (at least that's as far back as I remember). 1HP Hayward 2-SPEED CONVERTED Superpump, Hayward sand filter, PS234 test kit.
    Goal: To remain completely algae-free for the life of this new liner!
    Life lesson: It is what it is.

12'x24' oval 9K gal IG pool; bleach; Hayward 244T sand filter; Hayward Super pump, 1 HP, 2-speed pump; 24hrs on low speedhrs; PS234; utility water; summer: ; winter: ; android phone; PF:13

Poconos is offline SuperMod Emeritus Whizbang Spinner Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars

Sorry for not getting back to this sooner. I get to the forum when I can. I doubt it is the bearings because you shouldn't have done anything to disturb them. But, sometimes with bearings that old it doesn't take much to cause a problem. That SPX-1610 is probably the motor part number. Mine is an SP-1607. Something to try is to unload the motor and see if the noise persists or changes. Empty the pump basket and turn it on with no water. Won't hurt to run it this way for a short time. I'm wondering if there could be physical contact in the impeller area. Clearances are close. Bearing noise is usually a squeal or grinding noise. I just found out how to post pics so here is a shot of the rear of mine. Yours is probably similar.
    Al

+ Reply to Thread