+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Can't find 18-year old tool

Default Can't find 18-year old tool

I inherited an inground pool with the purchase of my home 18 years ago. Among the tools and attachments left for me was an attachment that allowed me to use the suction of the skimmer to create a reverse flow into the vacuum hose to fill it rather than having to use one of the jets. I have used it hundreds of time over the years until misplacing this past season and it is sorely missed. I have scoured the internet and been in countless pool places to try and find a replacement to no avail.

Have any of you heard of or use this device?

The item is about 4-5 inches in length and uses two opposing turbos to generate the reverse flow. The illustration below is my best memory of what it looked like (right image is a cutaway).

Thanks for any help.

Jim

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Default Re: Can't find 18-year old tool

Interesting concept and design. I'm impressed with your 3-D drawing knowledge.

But . . . I've never seen such a device, though there've been quite a few times when it would have been handy

waterbear is offline Lifetime Member Sniggle Mechanic waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars

new to me. Not really sure how it would work either.
    Retired pool store and commercial pool maintenance guy.

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Suction flow over the lower blades turns the upper blades, which in turn pulls air and water through them, till the hose is primed . . . at least, that's what it looks like to me.

waterbear is offline Lifetime Member Sniggle Mechanic waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars

Quote Originally Posted by PoolDoc View Post
    Suction flow over the lower blades turns the upper blades, which in turn pulls air and water through them, till the hose is primed . . . at least, that's what it looks like to me.
    Yes, but I would think that the vacuum needed to pull all the air out of the hose could not be created in this manner. I understand HOW it's SUPPOSED to work. I just don't see it actually working.
    Retired pool store and commercial pool maintenance guy.

My guess is, to actually make it work, the flow paths would have to be somewhat different than shown.

The suction from skimmer sucks water through the lower turbine into the skimmer and towards the filter causing the turbine to turn, because it is a fixed spindle the top turbine is also turned and it sucks water into the device and pushes it into vacuum hose through the end attached to the vacuum hose. Again, the drawing is how I remember it and is probably lacking some key detail that would make it make immediate sense to all. I can only tell you at this point that it worked great for hundreds of pool cleanings - - until I lost it.

BigDave is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars

From the description, I believe the doo-dad pushes water into the vaccum hose instead of trying to suck the air out. However, as drawn the doo dad would pull on the hose.
    12'x24' oval 7.7K gal AG vinyl pool; ; Hayward S270T sand filter; Hayward EcoStar SP3400VSP pump; hrs; K-2006; PF:16

TomC is offline PF Supporter Thread Analyst TomC 0

I have something that looks almost exactly like your drawing. It's orange, with 2 white fan blades inside. They seem to be attached by a shaft running through the middle of the device, and when I turn the blades of one, the other turns too. The diameter of the ends are different sizes though, unlike your drawing. One end is about 1 1/2 inches in diameter, the other is close to 1 3/4 inches. It's been in my shed forever, and I may have used it once, although I really don't remember. You can have it if you want it. Maybe a moderator can help us facilitate me sending it to you. Not sure what shipping would would be, I'm on Long Island, in NY. Worth a shot I would guess. The price is right, free, lol.

Tom

Tom, if you and JCG agree, I will send each of you the other's email address. -ben

(Giving away stuff doesn't violate the no selling rule

+ Reply to Thread