+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Sand vs Cartridge filter

Default Sand vs Cartridge filter

Hello!
    I should do a search but I am going to be lazy and just ask for some advice on pro's and cons of each!

I have a 10K gallon Lomart pool with a Spectra 3 sand filter. I was doing a search for something completely different and came across a post that the person gave advise and said they would get rid of the sand filter and get a cartridge filter! Is a cartridge filter better? I always thought sand filters were the way to go. I have never had any problems with mine, water looks better every day, considering I do basically nothing to the pool except once a week! So any thoughts!! Also would like to know how often you should change the sand in the filter! I guess I am on my 3rd season, I am still using the original sand, should I change it soon? I thought before I heard 5 years?? Thanks!

TomC is offline PF Supporter Thread Analyst TomC 0

Default Re: Sand vs Cartridge filter

I've had a sand filter in my old above ground pool, I currently have a cartridge filter for my in ground pool, and I maintain my dad's in ground pool, which has a DE filter. Of the 3 filter types, i think the DE filter probably filters the smallest particles and really makes the water sparkle. However, in my opinion, it is a pain the butt to maintain. It requires the most work. My sand filter....I loved it. Nothing to add, only needed to change out the sand once in 15 years, did a great job. But as with a DE filter, you need to backwash. My current filter, the cartridge style, takes care of my 41,000 gallon IGP. It requires absolutely no maintainence. After 10 seasons, I replaced the 4 cartridges, cost me about $250. So, for me, the lazy guy, the cartridge is the way to go, and it does filter really well.

Tom

From what I've read here, I believe cartridges (decent ones, not the little intex ones) generally filter finer particles than sand. Cartridge filters require more maintenance, in that you have to remove the cartridge and wash it with a garden hose periodically. With sand, you flip a switch to "backwash" while the pump is running for a minute, then flip it back off. I have a cartridge, and I turn off the system, remove the cartridge, wash, replace mine once or twice a week (when I hit 10lb pressure rise). DE seems to filter the smallest particles but requires the most maintenance; as I believe you have to replace the filter media each time you backwash DE.

Some of the mods here have come up with an idea of adding a little DE to sand thereby improving the sand filter's ability to filter fine particles, but that reduces your time between backwashes I'm pretty sure. Still, if you're interested in improving your water quality a little it's worth a shot and a heck of a lot cheaper than buying a whole new filter.

Personally, I'd love to see a scientific comparison of the three. I'd guess if you had access to all three types of water filters, and a controlled environment you could do such a test. Unfortunately the only folks likely to do something like that would be a company trying to sell one of the filters.

However, if you're already happy with your water quality then just stick with what's working!
    Last edited by kelemvor; 07-18-2011 at 01:40 PM.
    rectangle 11.5K gal IG concrete pool;; 125sf cartridge filter; 2hp 1 speed pump; K-2006, k-1766; PF:10

Poconos is offline SuperMod Emeritus Whizbang Spinner Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars

If your pool ever gets out of control and you have to filter a bunch of junk, a sand filter shines. It can filter a bunch of junk fast and with a simple, quick backwash it's gone. The DE trick does work but you only add it after you've filtered the bigger crud.
    Al

Quote Originally Posted by Poconos View Post
    If your pool ever gets out of control and you have to filter a bunch of junk, a sand filter shines. It can filter a bunch of junk fast and with a simple, quick backwash it's gone. The DE trick does work but you only add it after you've filtered the bigger crud.
    Al
    Great replies, but I am not familiar with DE? I did however want to add to this post because I know in the beginning of the season when I super chlorinate the pool with Cal Hypo the pool usually always turns dark brown. I filter it overnight with my sandfilter and it is crystal clear in the morning. Just backwash and your done and that is some brown backwash at that!

+ Reply to Thread