Closed Thread

Thread: Gradual loss of suction while vacuuming

Default Gradual loss of suction while vacuuming

I am new owner of a home with a pool and I am slooowly figuring this stuff out, with the help of this forum.

My problem is that I recently opened my pool and have been cleaning it but I am finding that within about 10 minutes or so of (manual) vacuuming I lose most of the suction. When I pop off the end of the vacuum from the skimmer I notice that the water just isn't being sucked into the skimmer at the normal rate. If I turn off the pump for 10 seconds, and restart it the flow rate returns to normal and I can go back to effectively vacuuming for another 5-10 minutes until the same thing happens. The suction is good enough that the vacuum remains connected to the skimmer, but it's not good enough to grab much dirt from the water.

I have checked some of the obvious stuff: the skimmer basket doesn't have much (or any) debris, and the sealed basket next to the pump is also empty of debris (but full of water as it is supposed to be). I also make sure not to introduce much air into the system when connecting vacuum. Lastly, I have backwashed the filter to see if that helps, and it did add better suction overall, but did not solve the problem of diminishing suction. I have the drain/skimmer valve set to full on the skimmer port.

Any suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks.

Background info:
    - 20x40 Vinyl in-ground pool
    - Sand filter
    - One skimmer, one drain (on side) and one return

Default Re: Gradual loss of suction while vacuuming

Reduced suction during vacuuming is pretty normal as the filter gets dirty fast. Backwashing is the answer, sometimes several times before the pool is clean.

matt4x4 is offline Lifetime Member Verb Herder matt4x4 2 stars matt4x4 2 stars

Your problem is related to the skimmer basket - having it AND the vac adapter in there REALLY reduces flow, remove the basket and just let the big stuff catch in the pump basket - works like a charm - the only time you have to shut off is when you've lost so much pressure due to dirt collected that you have to backwash - at which time you can close your valves, empty the pump basket, open the valves again, prime and then go through a backwash/rince cycle.
    Also, if your water level is pretty low (just above skimmer) it's even easier for air to get sucked in around the adapter, always make sure your adapter seals well, even though it sits in there good, sometimes you get more leakage than other times

PatL34 is offline Lifetime Member Widget Weaver PatL34 2 stars PatL34 2 stars

Quote Originally Posted by MassAttack
    I am new owner of a home with a pool and I am slooowly figuring this stuff out, with the help of this forum.

My problem is that I recently opened my pool and have been cleaning it but I am finding that within about 10 minutes or so of (manual) vacuuming I lose most of the suction. When I pop off the end of the vacuum from the skimmer I notice that the water just isn't being sucked into the skimmer at the normal rate. If I turn off the pump for 10 seconds, and restart it the flow rate returns to normal and I can go back to effectively vacuuming for another 5-10 minutes until the same thing happens. The suction is good enough that the vacuum remains connected to the skimmer, but it's not good enough to grab much dirt from the water.

I have checked some of the obvious stuff: the skimmer basket doesn't have much (or any) debris, and the sealed basket next to the pump is also empty of debris (but full of water as it is supposed to be). I also make sure not to introduce much air into the system when connecting vacuum. Lastly, I have backwashed the filter to see if that helps, and it did add better suction overall, but did not solve the problem of diminishing suction. I have the drain/skimmer valve set to full on the skimmer port.

Any suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks.

Background info:
    - 20x40 Vinyl in-ground pool
    - Sand filter
    - One skimmer, one drain (on side) and one return
    If you have the ability to vacuum to waste, you should be able to take the load of the filter. Any time you do a Spring start up, there will be a lot of stuff on the floor that may be invisible to the eye, but not to your filter.

If you had to use a lot of bleach to clear the pool up, then you may have stuff on the pool bottom that is blocking your filter slowly, giving alow flow.

By vacuuming to waste, you remove the stuff on the bottom, without it having to go through the filter.

Try this and see what happens and let us know.

Pat

(Matt4x4:- I'm not sure where the vac adapter comes in as he does not mention it in his initial post. If he does have one, then yes it needs to be removed to improve the suction.)
    Last edited by PatL34; 05-11-2006 at 05:01 PM.

Area Man is offline ** No working email address ** Area Man 0

Quote Originally Posted by matt4x4
    Also, if your water level is pretty low (just above skimmer) it's even easier for air to get sucked in around the adapter, always make sure your adapter seals well, even though it sits in there good, sometimes you get more leakage than other times
    I have a vacuum problem that's a variation on this. I should probably replace the vacuum hose, but it can leak air at the end that connects to the vacuum adapter or plate that goes into the skimmer. When the hose moves around, a leak can open up between the hose and the hose end/connector, which is above the water line. My cheapo solution is to run water from a garden hose over this joint while I'm vacuuming. This keeps air from getting into the system and wrecking the vacuum.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by Area Man
    I have a vacuum problem that's a variation on this. I should probably replace the vacuum hose, but it can leak air at the end that connects to the vacuum adapter or plate that goes into the skimmer. When the hose moves around, a leak can open up between the hose and the hose end/connector, which is above the water line. My cheapo solution is to run water from a garden hose over this joint while I'm vacuuming. This keeps air from getting into the system and wrecking the vacuum.

Rick
    Are you sure you don't have the wrong end in the skimmer? The swivel end that's supposed to go on the vac will leak if it's on the skimmer end.

Area Man is offline ** No working email address ** Area Man 0

Quote Originally Posted by JohnT
    Are you sure you don't have the wrong end in the skimmer? The swivel end that's supposed to go on the vac will leak if it's on the skimmer end.
    By golly. I didn't realize the ends weren't the same! That solves my problem, so I'm glad I "contributed". Thanks, JohnT!
    Last edited by PoolDoc; 06-12-2013 at 06:04 PM. Reason: emphasize answer

Thank you - that's a lot of good information and advice. While I was able to pretty much rule out leaks, there could be more than one cause to my problem. I did find this morning that backwashing more seems to have helped a lot. After backwashing I was able to vacuum for nearly 30 minutes before losing suction. Even though backwashing seems to have done it for me, I will keep all the other advice in mind too. Next year when I have a lot dirt early on I will vacuum to waste, and at some point I will also try bypassing the skimmer basket.

Thanks again.
    Last edited by PoolDoc; 06-12-2013 at 06:03 PM. Reason: emphasize answer

Closed Thread