+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Patching a leak in a vinyl liner

Default Re: How to patch???

Quote Originally Posted by CarlD View Post
    If you get the outer patch sealed properly (I use a rubber tile roller) it will be FINE and last for years. I've tried other patching materials, but the Boxer glue and liner material, double-patched, make the BEST and most durable patches. IMHO.
    I greatly appreciate the feedback and suggestions.

I do need to get a set of goggles before making the repair (I don't have any). The tear is in a corner that points into the pool (lazy L shaped pool) a few inches above where it meets the floor of the shallow end. I can't quite reach the tear without dunking my head under water, so goggles would probably be a good idea. I guess cheap goggles would be good enough? Suggestions?
    22'x40' Grecian Lazy L 20K gal IG vinyl pool; Aqua Rite SWCG T15 cell; Hayward Pro Grid 6020 DE filter; Hayward Superpump 1hp pump; 12 hrs; Taylor K-2006; city; PF:6

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Yeah, cheap goggles. If you get the glue on them (it floats and you do NOT want it on your skin or in your hair) they are probably ruined.
    Carl

I found an old pair of goggles in the closet, so I tried installing the patch.

What a PITA. First attempt was a bust. The tear is just deep enough that when I submerged and tried to unfold the patch and apply it I kept floating away. Second attempt with another patch went better. I smoothed it out with a wallpaper seam roller. Looks good...we'll see how it holds up.

Oh, and despite trying to be careful, I got glue on my hands. Looks like I'll have glue peeling off the next few days..lol
    22'x40' Grecian Lazy L 20K gal IG vinyl pool; Aqua Rite SWCG T15 cell; Hayward Pro Grid 6020 DE filter; Hayward Superpump 1hp pump; 12 hrs; Taylor K-2006; city; PF:6

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Yeah, I find that "fold the patch" instruction NEVER works! I just coat it carefully out of the water, then drag it down and put it on, and roll it. But I always put on the larger patch next.

If the water's at all cold, I'll wear an old pair of wetsuit gloves to keep most of the glue off my fingers. BTW, acetone should clean that glue right off your hands.
    Carl

Thanks for the tips. I'll keep them in mind for next time.

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Dye checking for leaks MUST be done with the pump off, and with you moving VERY slowly. It's almost impossible to do leak checking holding your breath, because the movement from bobbing up and down does not stop till AFTER you run out of air, and have to stir things up again.
    Last edited by PoolDoc; 06-14-2018 at 06:15 PM.

Last year, for the first time, I was able to use the dye successfully. I found two holes, fairly far apart where I thought there might be one. I just let the dye sit in the pool with the plumbing off and me NOT in the water, so it was still, and it found the holes.
    Carl

Quote Originally Posted by PoolDoc View Post
    Dye checking for leaks MUST be down with the pump off, and with you moving VERY slowly. It's almost impossible to do leak checking holding your breath, because the movement from bobbing up and down does not stop till AFTER you run out of air, and have to stir things up again.
    I did shut the pump off a couple hours before trying the dye test. I also tried to move real slow. The places I tested the dye seemed to just sit there without much movement.

I watch a few videos so I'd have an idea what to look for, but I didn't observe anything like I saw in the videos.

At this point I'm not too worried about it since water loss over the winter was only about 1/2" per month. I don't notice any unusual loss during the summer.

I also wonder if the leak is actually somewhere above the water line and water only leaks out when we get a heavy rain during the winter causing a lot of water to collect on the cover, causing it to sag, and displacing the water in the pool above the normal level. Btw, I don't lower the water level at closing, the idea being to help prevent the liner from floating (we're only 9ft above sea level). Plausible?

+ Reply to Thread