+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Using Muriatic Acid to Safely Lower Your Pool's pH

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Default Re: Using Muriatic Acid to Safely Lower Your Pool's pH

Quote Originally Posted by chem geek View Post
    [The accurate calculation is complicated and is done in my Pool Equations spreadsheet. I didn't provide a simple enough formula to be used online in a timely manner.
    Of course, even if the problems with the PoolCalculator *were* fixed, that would do nothing to resolve the issues with testing errors.

Like I said before, if you need to know how much acid or base to add, all at once, MEASURE it; don't calculate it. But, I strongly, strongly recommend against an all-in-one dose. If if you measure it perfectly, and even if you measure your doses perfectly, there's a 30% chance that your pool volume figure is off by 30% or more.

So -- at MOST -- add 1/2 of the dose calculated from an acid / base test, and then RE-TEST.

I have enormous respect for Richard's chemical knowledge and analytical acumen, but this is an area where we disagree rather dramatically. His approach, embedded in the PoolCalculator, is the SAME one followed by pool stores, and suffers some of the same problem: high precision calculation, based on LOW precision testing and pool volume data, used to determine ALL-AT-ONCE doses.

It's a bad idea in pool stores, and it's not a better one, simply because Richard's analytical formula are somewhat more accurate than the BioLab Alex program.

It works for Richard, both in theory and in practice, because he is preternaturally precise. I'm guessing he hasn't made a math error in 10 years! If you are the same . . . his approach may work for you.

But, for the other 99.99% of the world, trying to single shot pool chemical doses is a fast train to pool problems.

The ONLY times you should single-shot a large dose, is when you're adding chlorine under conditions (like heavy algae) where "too much" is almost certainly "not enough", or when you are adding something, like polyquat, where "too much" won't hurt anything but your wallet. All the rest of the time, you should NEVER add a complete single dose. Not with acid; not with bases; not with calcium; not alkalinity (baking soda).

If you have low calcium in your pool, and low carbonate alkalinity, AND you want to single shot your borax dosing (for 50 - 60 ppm borates) AND you have plenty of muriatic acid on hand, AND plenty of time, to stay with it till you get the pH back down -- if ALL those things are true, then if you want to, I suppose a single shot dose of borax to 60 ppm borates might be OK. I don't recommend it, but it will probably work out OK.

All the rest of the time, for your sake, and the sake of your pool, please leave the ALL-AT-ONCE dosing to Richard, and that tiny fraction of the human population who is as meticulous as he is.

Kateyru is offline Subscriber Thread Analyst Kateyru 0

Do you folks know the baume % in "safer muriatic acid?"
    Thanks.
    16'x30' rectangle 22K gal IG vinyl pool; SWCG; Hayward Pro SEries S220T sand filter; Hayward pump; hrs; Taylor K-2006 ; city; PF:5.5

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Unless you are referring to a specific brand and product, that question has no definite answer.

However in general, if you dilute muriatic acid to about 12% (instead of 31%) the fuming stops. However, without special equipment, the fuming DURING dilution is so bad, it's easier to tell people how to handle it straight from the bottle.

Also, you really have to watch out for some of the "safer" products -- they are designed for surface cleaning, and have added detergents, etc. NOT what you want in your pool!

waterbear is offline Lifetime Member Sniggle Mechanic waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars

If you are referring to 'Safer Muriatic Acid' by WM Barr sold under the Kleen-Strip brand and/or "Acid Magic" by certol then these are 'buffered' muriatic acid products that contain 'propriatary' ingredents to reduce fuming and irritation to healty unbroken skin. While Acid Magic is listed on the manufacturer's website as suitable for pool/spa pH adjustment use the Safer Muriatic Acid is not.
    While these products claim to be as effective in cleaning as 20 baum muriatic acid they do not claim that they ARE 20 baum muriatic acid and the MSDS for both indicate that they are actually much less concentrated that standard 20 baum muriatic acid.
    Retired pool store and commercial pool maintenance guy.

Kateyru is offline Subscriber Thread Analyst Kateyru 0

Yes, it is Kleen-Strip brand. Thanks so much for the info!!
    16'x30' rectangle 22K gal IG vinyl pool; SWCG; Hayward Pro SEries S220T sand filter; Hayward pump; hrs; Taylor K-2006 ; city; PF:5.5

Thank you pool forum. I recently lowered my ALK level from 250 to 120 safely and slowly , using your recommendations, using muriatic acid, 24/7 pump and air compressor to aerate the pool. IT WORKS. Just have to be patient. I really appreciate all this great info everyone of you provide to this site.
    16x32 rectangle 14.6K* gal Intex AG vinyl pool; Household Bleach; Sta-Rite System 2 cartridge filter; Waterford Systems 1 speed pump; 8 hrs; Taylor K2006, HTH 6 way test strip; well; summer: none; winter: intex provided cover; android phone; PF:8.2

+ Reply to Thread