+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Have Salt Systems fallen out of favor?

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Default Re: Have Salt Systems fallen out of favor?

Quote Originally Posted by steveinaz View Post
    and seems to be just fine, despite my grand kids efforts to empty 1/4 of the pool on it.

Quote Originally Posted by steveinaz View Post
    We're in our 7th season of our salt pool, and haven't seen any degradation in ... the stone coping/waterfall.
    Hi Steve. I'm curious as to what kind of rock you have on your coping and waterfall. My moss rock waterfall has some rocks that have deteriorated to below the mortar. My flagstone coping is very gradually degrading. But with my pool being 7 years old, the moss rock is the worst problem, and the coping is the lessor problem, but still noticeable. I'm in Houston.
    Robert
    Last edited by Watermom; 04-07-2012 at 03:43 PM. Reason: Add [/ to the end of the quoted part to make it appear correctly.
    ~~
    22K gallon, IG, gunite, Sunstone Pearl White Pearl plaster, Aqualogic SWCG, Hayward Tristar pool pump, Pentair Whisperflo waterfall pump, Pentair Clean & Clear 320 cartridge filter, Sta-Rite heater.

chem geek is offline PF Supporter Whibble Konker chem geek 4 stars chem geek 4 stars chem geek 4 stars chem geek 4 stars

Keep in mind that the problems aren't just having saltwater splash out onto softer stones, but also having fast enough evaporation and not having summer rains dilute the water. It's the combination of splash-out and evaporation that leads to salt recrystallization pressure that puts stress on softer stone. This is probably why more problems are seen in dry and hot Texas compared to wet Florida, for example. The local stones used also matter and some builders use materials that would be a problem for a non-salt pool as well, though it may take longer to notice in such a pool.

steveinaz is offline Lifetime Member Weir Watcher steveinaz 2 stars steveinaz 2 stars

Robert
    Not really sure what the rock is, around here it's known as rip-rap. It's colorful and not at all smooth, has alot of purple, browns, reds in it.

Quote Originally Posted by chem geek View Post
    It's the combination of splash-out and evaporation
    Ahh. That helps explain some things. My neighbor and I both have salt pools and natural rock. We were noticing that the rock under the water line (along his water line and under my water line under the falls) was not deteriorating noticeably.
    ~~
    22K gallon, IG, gunite, Sunstone Pearl White Pearl plaster, Aqualogic SWCG, Hayward Tristar pool pump, Pentair Whisperflo waterfall pump, Pentair Clean & Clear 320 cartridge filter, Sta-Rite heater.

+ Reply to Thread