+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New water startup

Default New water startup

Waiting for my new test kit, but in the meantime, Cl is >3.0, pH is around 7.0, TA is 80. I know I need to raise the pH and alk.

1. Should I first use baking soda to raise the alk, or borax to raise the pH?

I've added 3 lbs of CYA and am using trichlor in the skimmer. I know initially I probably need more CYA, but I don't want to overshoot with the tabs. When I get the kit I can monitor the levels.

2. When I get the kit, should I forget about trichlor and take the CYA to 40 and just use bleach, or continue with trichlor until the CYA gets to 40?

3. What level of CL should I shoot for?

Thanks,
    Tommy
    18x36 vinyl liner, 16,500 gal, non-diving. Hayward 1.5hp 2-speed pump w/StarClear Cartridge filter 120sf

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Default Re: New water startup

Hi Tommy,
    First, raise pH with the borax. Start with half a box and wait an hour to test it. You should see TA come up some. When your pH is right, you may see that TA is around 100--and that's fine. I am currently running a TA of 60-70, but my pH didn't move for 7 weeks. Now, I've put in some tri-chlor (I want the CYA) so I've had to compensate for lowering pH. I'm doing it the simplest way--Aeration. If I need to raise TA later, I will.

Your pH is being depressed by the Tri-Chlor tabs. They are extremely acid. So you have to compensate. Borax is good for that as it will add some to TA. You can use Washing Soda as well...it adds more to TA than Borax.

Carl
    Carl

madwil is offline Registered+ Widget Weaver madwil 0

As far as the cl level- depends on your CYA. If you have < 30, cl of 2 or 3 is fine, as your cya gets higher so should your FC
    See the best guess chart to find your goal FC level...

aylad is offline SuperMod Emeritus Burfle Ringer aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars

The "best guess chart" madwil is referring to can be found in the link in my sig....
    Janet

+ Reply to Thread