+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Lowering TA.

Cool Lowering TA.

Hello all,

I recently followed all reccomendations on here for tweaking an SWGC pool. Everything looks great overall. The only issue that I keep having is that my TA will not stay at 70 as suggested. I have tried lowering repeatedly by lowering PH from 7.6 to 7.2 (second lowest reading on Taylor k-2006) but TA always comes back up to 80-90 with PH rise. I have been battling this for weeks and I am wondering if I should just leave well enough alone at this point?

Also, we are leaving for vacation for two weeks. What can/should I do to my pool so that I don't have any unwelcome surprises when I get home? I live in SO. FL. where water temps are around 90 right now so I am very hesitant to shock and shut off the pump as I have seen suggested on here. I was thinking Super Chlorinate, decrease pump run time, top off other chemicals, borates, clean cart. and let it ride. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!!
    I live in South Florida. I have owned my first pool for 6 years now. 12,200 gal. with exposed aggregate finish, spa with spill over, cartridge filter, pop up bottom cleaning jets, Chlorine by swg. I am eternally grateful for The Pool Forum!!

15'x30' Rectangle w/ ovals at ends 12.2K gal IG pool; Bleach now as SWCG died.; Hayward 1200 cartridge filter; Emerson 2HP pump; 6hrs; Taylor K-2006 La Motte Borate Test Strips; utility; summer: ; winter: ; iPad; PF:9.8

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Default Re: Lowering TA.

Regarding the alk, if yours wants to be at 80-90, I wouldn't think that would be a problem as long as it didn't continue to climb. But, maybe one of the SWCG gurus will think differently and if so, hopefully they will chime in.

Regarding vacation -- do you have anybody that can come by a few times and add a little bleach?

I am trying to avoid asking someone to do that as I don't really want anyone messing with my pool. (I am wierd like that) I have an SWCG so I am not to worried about CL level. As far as the water level is concerned, would it be ok to just shut off the skimmer for two weeks? (I don't have an auto fill) It is the rainy season here in SO FL so I doubt that it would be an issue anyway.
    I live in South Florida. I have owned my first pool for 6 years now. 12,200 gal. with exposed aggregate finish, spa with spill over, cartridge filter, pop up bottom cleaning jets, Chlorine by swg. I am eternally grateful for The Pool Forum!!

15'x30' Rectangle w/ ovals at ends 12.2K gal IG pool; Bleach now as SWCG died.; Hayward 1200 cartridge filter; Emerson 2HP pump; 6hrs; Taylor K-2006 La Motte Borate Test Strips; utility; summer: ; winter: ; iPad; PF:9.8

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

When you say shut off the skimmer, do you mean shut off the pump? How long are you going to be gone? The worst thing that could happen is you'll have some algae but that can easily be cleaned up with a few days of shocking.

No. I just meant that I will reroute suction to Main Drain ONLY so that water evaporation will not be an issue while I am away as skimmer will be off.

waterbear is offline Lifetime Member Sniggle Mechanic waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars

Quote Originally Posted by DennyB65 View Post
    Hello all,

I recently followed all reccomendations on here for tweaking an SWGC pool. Everything looks great overall. The only issue that I keep having is that my TA will not stay at 70 as suggested. I have tried lowering repeatedly by lowering PH from 7.6 to 7.2 (second lowest reading on Taylor k-2006) but TA always comes back up to 80-90 with PH rise. I have been battling this for weeks and I am wondering if I should just leave well enough alone at this point?
    If your pH is not rising too quickly then leave it alone. If you have to add acid too often to maintain the pH below 7.8 then lower the TA more. It will eventually move downward since each time you lower the pH (I would use your acid demand test and lower it to 7.0 sicnce you have a plaster pool) and then aerate to bring the pH up the pH rises because you are removing CO2 from the system (in effect, decreasing the carbonic acid in the water, which for our purposes can be considered CO2 dissolved in the water). Once the CO2 is removed it cannot convert back into bicarbonate, which is what we measure as TA. Just keep at it and the TA will fall.

Also, we are leaving for vacation for two weeks. What can/should I do to my pool so that I don't have any unwelcome surprises when I get home? I live in SO. FL. where water temps are around 90 right now so I am very hesitant to shock and shut off the pump as I have seen suggested on here. I was thinking Super Chlorinate, decrease pump run time, top off other chemicals, borates, clean cart. and let it ride. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!!
    If you have 50 ppm borates in the water shock the pool to about 30 ppm and then shut the system down, it's safer just in case anything malfunctions. This is what I do (also in Florida with 90 degree water temp). I go away every summer for about two weeks or slightly longer and since I have had borates in my water I do not come back to a green pool. Worst case it's a bit cloudy but a single good shocking with bleach and I am swimming in 2 days. Even if it turns green a good shocking with bleach and maintaining the shock for a day is all it really needs. (If it's green I shock the pool to about 25-30 ppm with bleach assuming about 80 ppm CYA, turn on the SWG and run the pump 24/7 until the pool clears, keep the FC up at that level for a day checking it about 3 times during the day , and the pool is clear very fast!)

Remember to brush the pool well to remove any algae that might be clinging to the finish.

Hwever, like I said I usually just have a slightly cloudy pool and one good shocking is all it really takes to get things swimmable (no CC and clear water). Borates work!
    Retired pool store and commercial pool maintenance guy.

Thanks Waterbear. I read this advice from you some time ago and thought, oh no, I could never do that! That said, I think I have l have gained enough knowledge on here since then to have the confidence to try this. I will top off the borates, CYA et al and then add the bleach the night before we leave. I will let you know how it goes. This will probably be a perfect opportunity to soak my carts for two weeks as well.

waterbear is offline Lifetime Member Sniggle Mechanic waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars

soaking the carts for 2 weeks is a bit excessive. Remember that the degreasing solution (TSP or dishwasher detergent) is somewhat caustic and the extended soaking might be potentially damaging. If you are using a commercial acid cartridge cleaner a two week soak is definitely damaging.

I use electric dishwasher detergent. I have let them soak that long before and not had any problems to this point. Before I found The Forum I used to throw them out after a year! What a waste, I wish I had those back. Live and learn. Thanks again Evan!

YOu can shorten the life of the bands and end caps with such an extended soak.

+ Reply to Thread