+ Reply to Thread

Thread: pool automation

Default pool automation

I have been maintainig my own pool for a number of years. I am looking for advice as to how to make it more energy efficient.

20,000 gallon pool with coverstar cover

I have a 3/4 hp main pump 220v runs 24/7
    polaris booster pump 220v on timer.
    heater on 24/7 to maintain temp
    offline hayward chlorine dispenser.

Issues:
    Main pump must be on when polaris booster is on.
    Main pump must be on for the heater to maintain temp.
    If main pump shuts off before heater-- heater clanks.
    If main pump is off water temp may take too long to heat up again.

Can anyone recommend a way to minimize the electricity cost through a system that would sense temperature and run main pump as needed and still maintain temp, shutting of only after heater is off and cooled by water flow and turning on the polaris only when the main pump is on? To confuse mattters I am considering a salt chlorine generator that would need the pump to run as well.

Is there a computer system that takes all these factors into account? would I be better of constantly runnig the main pump but with a variable speed?

Thanks,

And sorry if this sound a bit confusing.

Poconos is offline SuperMod Emeritus Whizbang Spinner Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars

Default Re: pool automation

Welcome to the forum.
    I never looked into anything like this for pools and therefore have no idea if some system exists. I doubt it. But, all the parts to put something together do exist and probably relatively cheap. There are all kinds of specialized I/O devices for monitoring temperature, voltage, contact closures, relay control etc that are used in industrial automation. You would also probably have to write your own software. In my prior life I did this stuff in the aerospace industry. Was a lot of fun.
    Al

thanks, Will start looking.

waterbear is offline Lifetime Member Sniggle Mechanic waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars

Check into the Hayward/Goldline Aqualogic pool automation/SWCG. It should do what you want. You will not need to run the pump 24/7 once you determine how much heat loss you have by turning off the pump for a period of time.The automation will allow a cool down for the heater (fireman's switch) and will only turn the heater on when the pumip is running and automatically maintain the desired water temp while pump is running (replacing heater thermostat). Ditto for the booster pump. The unit can be programmed to only allow it to turn on when the main pump is running. To save even more money you can replace your pump (or just the pump motor if the wet end is good) with a 2 speed one and allow the automation to control it. You will save quite a bit of money by running on low speed and get better filtration to boot!. You will only need to switch to high speed for the cleaner and the automation can take care of that for you automatically also.
    The system is also a SWCG besides being pool automation.
    If your cover is automatic it can also control the pool cover.

There are other automaton systems from Pentair and Jandy that you can check into also but the SWCG is not an integral part of these systems but a separate unit that they control.
    Retired pool store and commercial pool maintenance guy.

Thank you for the advice . I will check out you recommendations.

+ Reply to Thread