+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Info on pools needed

Default Info on pools needed

Hi - I'm looking to get an above ground pool but am a bit leary knowing that my lab will be in and out of the pool and don't want to keep replacing liners. Any tips you folks can give me on liners and dealing with extra hair would be great.
    Thanks. Kathy

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Default Re: Info on pools needed

Hi Kathy and welcome to the Pool Forum!

I think the hair won't be as much of a problem as the nails. My sister used to let her two labs in her liner pool and she frequently had to patch her liner. I love my dogs, but don't let them in my pool. Maybe someone will have a good suggestion for you. Hope you enjoy being a part of the forum!

aylad is offline SuperMod Emeritus Burfle Ringer aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars

You can use skimmer socks and get most of the hair. As far as the liner goes, we only let our German Shepherd in and out of the pool when invited, and only on the steps.

TomC is offline PF Supporter Thread Analyst TomC 0

We've got 2 Weimeraners that love to swim. We have an in ground, vinyl pool, and have taught them to enter and exit only at the stairs. This prevents them from tearing the liner with their nails. Strategies I'd use for an above ground pool would be to keep the dog's nailed trimmed as short as possible, getting fiberglass stairs that sit on the bottom of your pool and teaching your dog to only use these to enter and exit your pool. You can also buy booties for your dog , which will protect your liner, here's a link to one type...http://www.amazon.com/Granite-Gear-E.../dp/B000XUO8NC. These booties don't help with our dogs because they often swim when we are not in the pool.

When our kids have friends over, our 2 dogs will line up to take their turn jumping off the diving board, it's hilarious. Good luck, and with care, your dogs can enjoy your pool without destroying it.

Tom
    20'x42' L' 41K gal IG vinyl pool; trichlor feeder, bleach; Pentair 420 cartridge filter; Pentair Whisperflo 1.5hp 2 speed pump; hrs; TF-100, CYA test; city;PF:2.9

+ Reply to Thread