+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New to Forum

Default New to Forum

Hi everyone! I am new to the forum. We are in the beginning stages of looking at putting a pool in our back yard. Any and all suggestions are welcome. Where do we even begin? What are the costs? What type of pool do we get? I am just trying to figure out some of the basic questions now and then move on from there. Thanks!

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Default Re: New to Forum

Hi and welcome!

Like cars, candy, movies and shoes, there's no "right" pool, but there can be wrong ones. You'll need to give us a little more information, such as what you want the pool for, like swimming laps, for kids playing, or just cooling off? Do you want the pool to impress or just be utilitarian? Do you want a little pool or a big pool? Where do you foresee putting it? What's the size and lay of your land? Do you know anything at all about pools other than you like them? (This is a great starting point--we ALL like pools! ) Are you on a budget? A tight budget? Or is money no object and this is your dream pool? How good are you at daily, routine maintenance? Does your town require a proper fence? Do you have one?

All these are just some of the questions to investigate. Additionally, take a gander at our sister site, PoolSolutions.com for lots of discussions that are easy to read on pool selection, pool care, and the B-B-B Method of pool care. Yes, you really CAN get all but two chemicals needed at your supermarket and Home Depot. You can even do without one of the two.

My personal experience? I started with a little Intex 15' round donut pool, and found I had to level my yard for it. I later moved to a 40'x16' FantaSea rectangular above ground pool built into my deck. But I learned on the little one.

Carl

Good luck and let us know what you are thinking.
    Carl

Thanks Carl! Right now we have a 15' Intex pool but are looking at getting a bigger one in the next couple of years. We would put a deck on it etc. Right now we are having algae problems with the little pool. I can't get the water clear.

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Post some current water testing results taken with a drops-based kit for us to look at and someone here can help you get that algae cleared up. Also, tell us exactly what all you have put in the pool meaning ingredients and not just product names or "shock."

BTW -- Welcome to the Pool Forum!

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

While we cannot tell you how much of anything to add just yet, it's a good bet that you don't have enough chlorine in your pool. Without knowing the level of your CYA (stabilizer), it would be a shot in the dark. CYA level determines the ideal level to "shock" your pool (raise chlorine levels really high to kill everything in it), and the maintenance level (what you need to keep your pool sanitary).

Just so you know: 1 gallon of 6% bleach will add between 15 and 18ppm of chlorine to your pool. And you MAY have to add that much.

But I'm guessing you've been using Di-Chlor powdered chlorine and have been trying to keep the chlorine level at "3" which, on every little test kit says is the "good" level. Been there, done that. "3" is NOT the right level...but I'm getting ahead of myself.

If you need to take a sample to a pool store, go ahead but don't buy anything, especially not calcium or algaecides. No matter WHAT they say calcium will do NOTHING for your pool, and algaecides will make it much, much worse. Again, been there.....

Carl
    Carl

+ Reply to Thread