+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Polyquat dosage?

Default Polyquat dosage?

It's been a while since I browsed these forums (long enough ago that a new user _could_ actually browse them) but I have returned looking for information about polyquat. I believe the info I remember reading was that all brands of polyquat (in the US) was the identical except for the concentration, and that 60% was nearly always the most economical. What I don't remember is whether there was any advice for dosage other than whatever I find on the bottle?

I don't plan on regular use, but I am using a stain treatment (Jack's Magic Iron/Cobalt) that requires no more that 1ppm chlorine for 48 hours (and no super chlorination for 7 days) so it seemed some algae inhibiter might be prudent.

Any advice?

Thanks

HW

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Default Re: Polyquat dosage?

True polyquat is still made ONLY by Buckman Labs in Memphis. When the patent ran out on polyquat, and the me-too's started production, they announced a new patent on a feedstock chemical, locking things up for another 16 or 17 years.

For this reason (probably) the two main chemical companies, who control 75% of the brands, have made it harder and harder to find true polyquat. You MUST read the chemical label, to be sure. The product name that mean polyquat last year may mean a foamy quat mess this year! HTH branded products are particularly bad, now.

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Quote Originally Posted by PoolDoc View Post
    True polyquat is still made ONLY by Buckman Labs in Memphis. When the patent ran out on polyquat, and the me-too's started production, they announced a new patent on a feedstock chemical, locking things up for another 16 or 17 years.

For this reason (probably) the two main chemical companies, who control 75% of the brands, have made it harder and harder to find true polyquat. You MUST read the chemical label, to be sure.
    The one thing that has always stuck in my mind since first finding this forum and the Pool Solutions site has been "read the label"

I tried two stores today, a Walmart and a hardware store, both had an algae inhibitor, neither had polyquat, the ingredients were such a mash of different chemical names that I didn't even try and write it down for reference, it wasn't polyquat was all I knew for sure. Interestingly there were some vague references to "3x concentrated" and "30%" on the labels too...trying to trick people into thinking it was the same stuff is what I assume.

I really don't like buying from "Leslies" because I hate funding the kind of bad information I have received from them over the years but I guess for some chemicals I just have no alternative

Thanks

HW

chem geek is offline PF Supporter Whibble Konker chem geek 4 stars chem geek 4 stars chem geek 4 stars chem geek 4 stars

The amount on the label of 60% PolyQuat is the right amount to use. An initial dose for a clean pool is 9 ounces per 10,000 gallons and subsequent weekly doses are 3 ounces per 10,000 gallons. For your purposes of preventing algae during a stain treatment, use at least the initial dose amount. It's a viscous product so distribute it evenly with the pump running.

Thanks for the advice...now to actually find some :s

Are any of the newer products any good or is polyquat still really the "one and only" and I just need to be diligent about finding some?

Thanks

HW

aylad is offline SuperMod Emeritus Burfle Ringer aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars

Polyquat is still the one and only.....but you have to be careful because a lot of places are starting to mix it with all sorts of other stuff and call it better.....

Found some on Amazon for $17.99 + $4.99 S+H, should arrive next week.

Here is the link in case anybody else is looking for some.
    15k gallon above ground plaster pool | 300 sq ft cartridge filter |BBB + trichlor

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

And, if you go through the Amazon link in mine, Jan's or Ben's signature lines and then navigate to that product on the Amazon site, the Pool Forum will make a little money on the sale! Anything you buy from Amazon as long as you go through our Amazon link will make a little $$$ for the forum!

Oh *&$$%#, wish I had known that before I place the order...although the Amazon links in your sig seems to just go to the Taylor website which has it's own order/cart pages?
    15k gallon above ground plaster pool | 300 sq ft cartridge filter |BBB + trichlor

+ Reply to Thread