+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Above ground filter options

Default Above ground filter options

This is my second year with our 16 x 4 Intex pool. I've been using pool chemicals from Walmart and only have the strips and drop kit right now. Each year I've let it get an algae bloom because of vacations or other neglect. Right now the water is cloudy with maybe a hint of green. If I turn off the pump there would probably be some algae settle on the bottom. Chlorine holds in the pool but I have a hard time telling exactly the levels with the equipment that I have.

My main question is when I vacuum there is sometimes a definite stream of particles coming out of the jet. Both the Intex filters and the A filters at Walmart don't even have the correct size hole to seal in the canister. The A & C filter at Walmart fits tight but seems as if it is tricky to get it just right. Is it normal for the filter to bypass some particles? I'm almost positive that it doesn't have a bypass valve built in. Is there something I'm missing?

aylad is offline SuperMod Emeritus Burfle Ringer aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars

Default Re: Above ground filter options

It is not normal for anything to be blowing through the filter--my guess is that either the filter that you're using just isn't sealing correctly, or that maybe you have too big of a pump. What size pump are you using?

In order to get the algae out of the pool, you need to shock it with chlorine, but we need to know your CYA level in order to know how high to take your chlorine. If you could run a set of tests with your drop kit and post the results here, we can better advise you on where to go from here.
    Janet

Default Re: Above ground filter options

I finally decided that I need a good test kit to get this under control. My K-2006 should be here tuesday.

It has the pump that came with the pool. Maybe when I get the chemistry correct then everything else will fall in line.

+ Reply to Thread