+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: After adding Borax, water is drying out skin.

Default Re: After adding Borax, water is drying out skin.

That's interesting, WB. Thanks for all the advice and help. You guys are great.

I checked my pH last night and it's still 7.5. Unprecedented for me to hold this pH this many days after adjusting.

The DE in the sand filter project has it running 2 1/2 to 3 pounds over normal. The water is gin clear, the best it's ever looked.

Oh, a following up on the thread title. I've had no noticeable issues with skin drying. It feels great to me. It will have to pass the big test over the weekend, my wife's opinion. She doesn't usually get in the pool during the week. I'll report back on her experience after the weekend.

Tested my pH over the weekend and it had finally pushed up to 7.6. It usually would bounce back up to that after a day or two.

My wife swam over the weekend, she said the water felt great and loves how clear and sparkling the pool water is. She also said her skin was a little dry, but not anything like the previous weekend or to any degree that she'd find objectionable (which says a lot since she's a lotion addict). She also conceded that the pool water might do that anyway with or without the borax, but that she's only noticing because, after the addtion of the borax, she is now taking note of the way it makes her skin feels after a swim. For me, I have no problems. I don't feel dry so much as I feel clean, if that makes any sense.

Trying to lower my TA at present per Evans recommendations. presently and eternally at ≈ 120. I'll order my good test kit through the link over the weekend. Still a little apprehensive about raising my CYA levels to 80.

waterbear is offline Lifetime Member Sniggle Mechanic waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars

Quote Originally Posted by Willjay View Post
    Still a little apprehensive about raising my CYA levels to 80.
    Why? It really is to your advantage. People are afraid of CYA but there is a lot of evidence that running higher levels in salt pools or in climaTes that get a LOT of sun is advantageous. The problems of high CYA only happens when it is uncontrolled and unexpected. Running your CYA at 80 ppm and your FC at 5% of your CYA or 4 ppm is really ideal.
    Retired pool store and commercial pool maintenance guy.

I'd seen in another thread discussing higher chlorine levels to compensate for higher CYA levels conceding that it was fine although it might irritate the eyes more. This is not desirable. I'm sure it was for much higher levels of CYA than 80 but I think I got my wires crossed about the chlorine levels I'd have to run.

But your last post says it would be running "FC at 5% of your CYA or 4 PPM" which I have no problem with and is already at least what my chlorine level is and there are no complaints.

Incidentally I've managed to lower my total alkalinity to closer to 100 over the weekend. The pool store guys, as well as a salt cell rep I talked with over the phone told me that to lower alkalinity you should add the acid when the pumps weren't on. My TA's never moved.

chem geek is offline PF Supporter Whibble Konker chem geek 4 stars chem geek 4 stars chem geek 4 stars chem geek 4 stars

I'd seen in another thread discussing higher chlorine levels to compensate for higher CYA levels conceding that it was fine although it might irritate the eyes more. This is not desirable. I'm sure it was for much higher levels of CYA than 80 but I think I got my wires crossed about the chlorine levels I'd have to run.
    I don't know where you read that but it is unlikely to be true. The active chlorine level in the water with an FC that is 5% of the CYA level is less than then equivalent of 0.05 ppm FC with no CYA so 20 times lower than normally found in tap water. The active chlorine level is proportional to the FC/CYA ratio, not to FC alone. A high FC, by itself, doesn't mean anything except how much chlorine is in reserve -- it does not determine chlorine's strength (reaction rate). The chlorine bound to CYA reacts at least 100 times more slowly than unbound active chlorine (i.e. hypochlorous acid).

waterbear is offline Lifetime Member Sniggle Mechanic waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars

Incidentally I've managed to lower my total alkalinity to closer to 100 over the weekend. The pool store guys, as well as a salt cell rep I talked with over the phone told me that to lower alkalinity you should add the acid when the pumps weren't on. My TA's never moved.
    Totally false and this bit of misinformation just refuses to die even though it has been debunked again and again!

THIS is how to lower TA!
    Retired pool store and commercial pool maintenance guy.

Yah, Evan, the No-pump-acid-add method never did anything for me. And I've tried it many times over the years. However, last weekend I followed this sites advice and I managed to drop it to closer to 100. Had my nephews in town over the weekend and had a nice lower pH pool waiting for them to do their thing. Worked like a charm.

Also, you and chem geek have sold me on the raising my CYA. Will do it after my good kit comes in.

+ Reply to Thread