+ Reply to Thread

Thread: PPM --- How do I figure IT

Hybrid View

Default PPM --- How do I figure IT

I know I'm missing something that is very simple, but I'm confused.

How do I figure PPM. I test my Chlorine and it is 3.0 and the PH is 7.8 on my indicator. I don't think I can figure CYA with the kit I have. (I know I need the other kit and it's on the list) I read that if I am going to "shock" my pool it need to be so many PPM. What's the difference and how do I figure it.

I'm trying to get the green out of my pool an overdose in bleach. Since Sunday morning I have added 6 gallons of 6% bleach.

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Default Re: PPM --- How do I figure IT

Take a look at the Best Guess table in my signature below. It shows the correlation between your CYA level and how high you need to keep the chlorine for maintenance (minimum and maximum levels) and how high you need to take it to achieve shock levels if you have algae. Tell us the CYA level of your water and the volume of the pool and we can help you figure out doses of bleach to use.

If you don't already have a good test kit, it will make your pool care much easier if you will get one. The one we recommend is the Taylor K-2006 or 2006C (same kit, larger bottle of some reagents). If you buy it through the Amazon link in my signature, the Pool Forum makes a little money on the sale which helps us keep this form online. Only buy if the seller is Amato Industries, however. Some other sellers are substituting the K-2005 which you do NOT want.

Thanks Watermom......... But here is why I'm confused.
    I have been looking at the chart and I understand the relationship of CYA and Chlorine. For Example.... last week my CYA was at 94 so my Chlorine would be min of 5 and max of 10. Here is where I'm confused...... my Chlorine test will show that the ideal is between 2.0 and 3.0. Is this PPM? and if so why wouldn't my test kit go above 5? Even my my pool water analysis show I need to be in the 1.5 to 3 range.

This is why I'm confused and thinking that I don't know what the PPM is and how to read them.

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

The numbers on your test kit 2, 3, are ppm (parts per million). Your kit says 'ideal' but it is not always ideal. I'm assuming your pool water analysis came from a pool store. Even many pool stores do not 'get' the connection between CYA and chlorine levels and that is why there are so many pools full of algae because people with high CYA go with the 'ideal' of 2-3. Plus, people with algae-filled pools are money-makers for pool stores!

Most kits will not go above 5 as you noted. That is why we recommend the Taylor K-2006 or 2006C as it will go higher. (I think up to 50 but I'm not sure if that is right.) It depends on your CYA level. It is a big misconception that pools should always be at 1-3 or whatever.

I'm gonna link a thread that Ben wrote this morning that might help you understand this better. If not, come back with more questions. That is why we are here. Don't hesitate to ask again if we aren't making it clear to you.

EDIT: (Read post #23 in the following link.) http://www.poolforum.com/pf2/showthr...inyl-in-ground
    Last edited by Watermom; 07-05-2011 at 02:16 PM. Reason: to add link to a thread

I'm starting to get the basic BBB method. MY POOL IS BROWN/GREEN so I'm making changes. I had my water tested today and here are my current levels:
    CYA - 84 down from 94 10 days ago
    Total Chl - 3.1
    Free Chl - 3.1
    ALK 215 up from 211

My pool is 25' ABG I assume it to have 10,000 gal.

I added three gallons of 6% bleach which only raise my Chl by 7.5 for a total of 10.6. Since my CYA is 84 I need my chl to be in the 20's.....If I am doing this correctly.

I also added the 3/4 of a box of Borax last night and 3/4 of a bottle of low and slow tonight.

What should I do tomorrow? Add more bleach or more borax? I need to get this cleared up..... I am embarrassed

Your CYA may not have changed. I'm assuming these are pool store readings. That test is so subjective that there is no way distinguish 80 from 84 and even 80 to 90. It is very subjective. In actuality, your CYA is probably just the same as it was 10 days ago. The only way to lower it is to replace water. Same with your alk reading -- there is no way to distinguish 215 from 211.

I think your volume is probably a little more than 10K. My 24'AG is around 12,500.

You are right that your shock level is around 20. So, raise it on up! And, try and keep it there. Like I said above, every time you test, raise it back up. No such thing as testing too often when your pool is brown/green.

What is your pH? You are adding Borax which raises pH and Lo 'n Slow which decreases pH. Not a good plan.

Tomorrow? More bleach as often as you can. Back up to 20 or so! More bleach!!! Can't comment on whether you need more Borax until you report your pH reading.

Don't be embarrassed. We all have to learn how to manage our pools. It takes some time but you're doing fine.

More bleach!! Keep it at shock level and run the pump 24/7 cleaning the filter as needed!

+ Reply to Thread