+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: PPM --- How do I figure IT

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Default Re: PPM --- How do I figure IT

With a straight face, just tell them that you have really dirty clothes!

I'm making a little bit of progress, but it is still green. My wife was wiping the walls and the green clouds were awful. The chlorine is above my little kit so I know were making progress. I did put another 10 gal of bleach in tonight hoping to push it over the top and get this cleared up. With 10 gal my Chl should be over 25 plus what ever it was before.

I don't think I will let the kids swim tomorrow or Sunday.
    My Ph is also rising so I will get Acid tomorrow to lower it.

Here's my question. What does the polyquat do? And where do I get it.

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

You may find it in a pool store or you may have to order it online. But, it is a better preventative than it is effective at helping when you already have an existing algae bloom.

aylad is offline SuperMod Emeritus Burfle Ringer aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars

I don't think polyquat will help you much right now, since as Watermom said, it is a better preventative than it is in killing existing blooms. You'd be better to stick with straight bleach, keeping that chlorine up above 20-25 ppm as consistently as possible until the pool clears. It will also help to brush the pool daily during this process, to try to loosen as much algae as possible from the pool walls.

Pool is looking better. I put some acid in it sat night and the PH was perfect on Sunday. I didn't do anything to it Sunday. This morning the pool was looking better and is clearing up. I put 4 more gallons of bleach in it this afternoon. I can't wait to see how it will look in the morning.

Thanks for all the help!!!

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Figure 15,000 gallons for your calculations...if you have 4' of water the actual number is about 14,700 gallons + or - 14 gallons. But nothing's that accurate and 15,000 is MORE than good enough--makes rule-of-thumb and ballpark calculations easy.
    1.5 gallons of 6% bleach adds 6ppm of chlorine to your water. 1 gallon only adds 4ppm. If you buy 12.5% liquid chlorine at a pool store it should add 8.5 ppm of chlorine per gallon.

Carl
    Carl

madwil is offline Registered+ Widget Weaver madwil 0

just a note- when you are shocking that high, you're pH test is not accurate- higher chlorine (I think over 10) makes the pH read high.
    If it's really high, adding acid should be alright, but don't shoot for the low end of pH while your chlorine is over 10...

+ Reply to Thread