+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Brand new pool owner = new to BBB method

Default Brand new pool owner = new to BBB method

Hey Guys,

I just stumbled upon this great website about 30 mins ago and have been eagerly reading since. Here's the long and short of it. Recently purchased my first home which came with an in ground plaster pool. The pool is currently filled with water and the owner was having a weekly pool service which stopped about a week ago. Here is the equipment list for the pool along with links for your viewing:

A.O. Smith SQ1102 Square Flange Motor - http://www.aqua-man.com/row_num.asp?Ic=1133
    American Products DE 48’ sq Model # 584090
    Heyward CL-220 - http://www.amazon.com/Hayward-Off-Line- ... B000NPGHFE
    (attached spa) Air Supply Silencer Air Blower part # 6318120F - simliar to this http://www.amerimerc.com/air-blower~silencer.htm

Went to the Leslie's today and bought the following based upon a conservation with a friend who just started maintaining his own pool:

Leslie's 3" chlorine tablets
    power powder plus
    fresh n clear
    DPD Deluxe Test Kit

The pool needed water, and after filling the pool to the skimmer half way point, I tested the water with the above kit and got the following results:

Ph = 8.0
    Alkalinity = 110 ppm
    Chlorine was 0
    Temp = 84 degrees

I stumbled upon this site and quickly realized/learned i wanted to go the BBB route. The only thing Ive done thus far today is added 12 chlorine tablets to the Heyward Cl-220 but even at that point, the pump ran only about 1.5 hours. Tomorrow I want to pick up everything I need to get the pool up and running properly using the BBB method. What do I need to do/buy?

Any and all assistance you guys can provide to this novice will be greatly appreciated! Tomorrow I'll be exchanging the test kit for the complete leslie's kit listed in the guide. I'll also return both shocks if needed. I believe the pool is 30,000 gallons but I'm not positive and need to find out for certain.

Thanks in advance for the help. It'll go along way to reducing the stress of owning our first home and pool!

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Default Re: Brand new pool owner = new to BBB method

Hi STS;

Welcome to the PoolForum!

Do this:

#1 - Disable your timer and run the pool 24/7 till you've gotten the chemistry adjusted.
    #2 - Add 1# of Power Powder + (calcium hypochlorite) in the AM.
    #3 - Return the "Fresh n Clear" (non-chlorine 'shock'), get the test kit as planned, and have your stabilizer level tested.
    #4 - If your stabilizer is low, let them sell you some stabilizer. But get the MINIMUM amount, because you need to use up your tabs, which also add stabilizer.
    #5 - Buy a few pounds of dry acid to lower your pH some. (You can switch to muriatic acid, later.)
    #6 - Get a cheap floater for the tabs -- the Hayward feeders often don't work and you need a back up.
    #7 - Do NOT buy other goop from them.
    #8 - Clean your filter, and then add the stabilizer when you get home.
    #9 - Put some tabs in the floater and put it in the pool.
    #10 - Add a recommended minimum dose of acid.
    #11 - Test the following day and report results, BUT if chlorine is less than 2 ppm, add another lb of cal hypo.

Prior to reading this post I had returned the items I purchased. Items I currently have:

Complete Taylor test kit from Leslie's
    Walmart brand 6% bleach
    2 gallons of muriatic acid
    one box of 20 mule borax

I had the water tested yesterday by leslies and got the following results:

pH - 8.0
    FC - 1
    CC -
    TA - 100 ppm
    CH - 250 ppm
    CYA - 30 ppm

I added the muriatic acid and dropped the Ph to 7.6. Before going to bed I added a shock dosage of bleach (4 gals 2 quarts)

This morning I tested the water and only got a reading of 1.5 ppm FC and a Ph of 7.4. I again added the same shock dosage of bleach and tested about 40 mins later. The chlorine was still reading low at about 1.5. Confused and frustrated I went to a different pool store and had them test the water. Their test results stated:

FC - .4 ppm
    TC - 1 ppm
    CYa - 25 ppm
    Ph - 7.1

Phosphates - 2000 ppb

While I realize these tests are somewhat subjective depending on the tester reading the color scale, it is consistent with my low chlorine reading. Their Ph test said it was low but the Taylor kit was right on with 7.4 when I tested. They also stated I had a high level of phosphate.

Im sufficiently lost at this point and need direction. I mean 40 mins after adding a shock dosage it shouldn't be all gone right? What to do?

serenity now, serenity now :rant:

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Serenity is a state of mind, not a state of pool!

If you have beginning algal growth, or any of a number of other issues, it could consume your chlorine very quickly. Don't be surprised at this. Continue dosing with bleach until your chlorine level holds over night. That will indicate that the 'goo' is gone (oxidized or burned up). Once you reach this state of goofreeness (not to be confused with the state of enlightenment), you'll probably need to add some more stabilizer.

Quote Originally Posted by PoolDoc View Post
    Serenity is a state of mind, not a state of pool!

If you have beginning algal growth, or any of a number of other issues, it could consume your chlorine very quickly. Don't be surprised at this. Continuing dosing with bleach until your chlorine level holds over night. That will indicate that the 'goo' is gone (oxidized or burned up). Once you reach this state of goofreeness (not to be confused with the state of enlightenment), you'll probably need to add some more stabilizer.
    Thanks for the reply Doc. Question. How often should I be adding bleach and testing? I tested 40 mins after adding the shock dosage and it gave a low reading. when should i test? should i adjust my dosage? at this rate seems as tho i need a truckload of bleach!

Also, to clarify, while reading through the forum ive read 2 gallons of 6% bleach will raise my FC levels by 5ppm correct? Based on that and the best guess chart, the shock level is 12-15 ppm which equates to 6 gallons of 6% bleach. Sound about right? how soon after adding the bleach should i test for the FC level?

I was frustrated and panicking earlier today, didnt want to end up with a swamp, and have been using all available resources. I sincerely appreciate the help Ive been receiving. Thank you very much

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Quote Originally Posted by stslimited84 View Post
    Also, to clarify, while reading through the forum ive read 2 gallons of 6% bleach will raise my FC levels by 5ppm correct? Based on that and the best guess chart, the shock level is 12-15 ppm which equates to 6 gallons of 6% bleach. Sound about right? how soon after adding the bleach should i test for the FC level?

I was frustrated and panicking earlier today, didnt want to end up with a swamp, and have been using all available resources. I sincerely appreciate the help Ive been receiving. Thank you very much
    No, but close! Good for a newbie! 2 gallons of 6% will add 4ppm of chlorine to your 30,000 gallon pool, not 5ppm. ! gallon of 6% add 6ppm to 10,000 gallons, therefore 1/3 that to 30,000 gallons or 2ppm. 2 gallons therefore adds 4ppm.

Aim for a shock level of 15ppm. 7 Gallons of 6% bleach should do it. Current FC: 1ppm. 7gal adds 14ppm, which equals 15ppm.

Just my "take"

Carl
    Carl

Quote Originally Posted by CarlD View Post
    No, but close! Good for a newbie! 2 gallons of 6% will add 4ppm of chlorine to your 30,000 gallon pool, not 5ppm. ! gallon of 6% add 6ppm to 10,000 gallons, therefore 1/3 that to 30,000 gallons or 2ppm. 2 gallons therefore adds 4ppm.

Aim for a shock level of 15ppm. 7 Gallons of 6% bleach should do it. Current FC: 1ppm. 7gal adds 14ppm, which equals 15ppm.

Just my "take"

Carl
    my mistake, i forgot to edit my first post. I took measurements and believe my pool is 25,000 gals...so 6.5 gals should get it there? Do I need to adjust the CYA level since the chlorine seems to be getting used fast or leave it where it is? How soon after adding the shock dosage should I test? and am i correct for shocking due to not knowing how the previous pool owner left the water condition?

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Your dose of 6.5 gallons is right. While you are fighting this, as often as you can test and add more bleach the better. There is no such thing as doing it too often. Every time you test, add enough bleach to get back to 15. You could stand to bump the CYA up a little if your reading of 30 is right. Maybe add another 2 lbs. of CYA. Put it in an old sock and hang it in front of a return jet. Give it a squeeze every once in awhile to help it dissolve faster. That should add another 10ppm of CYA for you. You want to continue shocking until you can go from sundown one day until sunup the next day without losing more than 1ppm of chlorine.

It's a lot to learn at first but you're doing great!

I believe I have this sorted out for the most part now. Seems as tho I was making quite a newbie mistake. The vacuum w/the same debris catcher bag has been in the pool since we bought the house a week ago. After adding the shock dosage earlier this afternoon, I realized this probably shouldn't be in there especially with that bag full of debris.

Well lo and behold, I turned off the pump then disconnected and removed the vacuum from the pool. I finally saw a current in the water! Tested the water after about 20 mins and got a reading between 12-15ppm! Well after feeling some relief and needing to eat, I got lunch and returned to walmart to buy more bleach.

Returned home, tested the water at about 345 pm, and got a FC reading of 3 ppm. Progress! Since I dont have internet at the house yet, I used calculations previously printed the from poolcalculator.com based on raising the 3 ppm to 12 ppm. It called for 3 gals 3 quarts. I added it, tested the level at 410 pm, and got a reading of 15 ppm, woohoo!

Im going to test the pool water tonight when its getting dark and make the necessary adjustments. Couple of questions for you guys and gals:

1) For clarity purposes, based on a pool size of approx. 25000 gals, 1 gallon of 6% bleach will raise it by how many ppm?

2) I tested my Ph a couple times today and got readings of 7.0. I believe I need to raise this to 7.5-7.6. The above listed calculator states I should add 11 lb of borax by weight. Is that accurate?

3) I'll test for the CYA and post the results. Would this be a good price for it? http://www.lowes.com/pd_86401-1772-0...ine&facetInfo=

4) Getting ahead of myself (hopefully only slightly), once the pool reaches the point where it loses 1ppm or less overnight, what are the next steps?

+ Reply to Thread