+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New pool loaded with Phosphates!!!!

Default New pool loaded with Phosphates!!!!

I just bought a 24" x 52" round above=ground pool and a SWG system. The cell were getting caked with what looked like salt so I've taken and soaked them in vinegar. but that's not the main problem, my pool turned a MAJOR SHADE OF GREEN and looked like the sludge you see at the lake!! took a h2o sample to pool shop they said i had phosphates and to use a phosphate remover $39 and to add 2 more # of the stabilizer/conditioner i had. these are the levels they said my pool had
    FC 0.0 ppm TC 0.0 C C 0.0 go figure!!
    ph 7.8
    hardness 270 ppm
    Alkalinity w/stabilizer correction 139 ppm
    CYA 5 ppm

I put the 9.6 oz of the phosphate remover in the pool at night and didnt see any diff the next morning searched the website and found home remedies and your website. hallelujah !!! put 76 oz bleach in water turned somewhat clear liftoff. fc reading just showed almost .2 put another 64 in it (was desperate) water is alittle foamy skimmed and vacuumed still shows phospates when i put a capful of phosphate remover in pool Have I put too much , or not enough bleach in? Pool shop closed for 4th july holiday so cant get water retested. Patience is usually one of my virtues but probably not here!! It's hot here in TExas, would like to use my pool! I've only had it 2 weeks it would be my luck to get this problem right off the bat. Also, pool was filled 1/3 with well water. any help would be appreciated especially since I've already spent $75 from the pool shop fpr the phosphate remover and weekly shock. I thought my SWG was going to save me money

Thanks

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Default Re: New pool loaded with Phosphates!!!!

Ah, the old "you've got phosphates, and now you need all this expensive stuff" trick. As Carl would say, you've been "pool-stored"!

Do this:

# 1 - Go get 16 gallons of plain 6% household bleach and 4 boxes of borax. [ Walmart ]
    # 2 - Get 1 gallon of muriatic acid [ Lowes, hardware ]
    # 3 - Get a cheap OTO (yellow drops) / phenol red test kit [ Any ]
    # 4 - Get 3 - 5 lbs of stabilizer (CYA, conditioner, sun shield = cyanuric acid = isocyanuric acid) [ Any ]
    # 5 - Do NOT use any more pools store goop.
    # 6 - Turn your pump on and your SWCG off
    # 7 - Add 4 gallons of bleach to the skimmer tonight
    # 8 - Add 1/4 gallon of muriatic acid this evening, either before or 30 minutes after the bleach. (Wear gloves, glasses, watch the fume: partially submerge the bottle into the pool, so you can pour from a few inches above the water. "Guesstimate" the 1/4 gallon: do NOT try to pour it into something else!)
    # 9 - Test pH & chlorine levels tomorrow AM and report them here.
    #10 - If chlorine levels are below 2 ppm in the AM, add 2 more gallons then.
    #11 - Add 4 gallons again, Sunday PM.

You can swim within 30 minutes of adding either bleach or acid, so long as there is at least a 2 ppm chlorine level when you go in.

By the way, have you added salt? (not that it matters right now.)

And, you'll need a Taylor K2006 test kit, sooner or later. Amazon link in my sig, but only order when the seller shows as "Amato Industries". We have had problems with other sellers shipping K2005 kits.

Happy 4th!

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Default Re: New pool loaded with Phosphates!!!!

Yes, the latest "fad" is phosphate removers. Leslies even has a "maintenance" program they sell to keep you adding that goop to your pool. But even the BEST pool stores are doing it.
    Phosphates DO feed some forms of algae. But the BEST way to handle it is make sure there's no algae to eat the phosphates...

Sometimes I wonder how they sleep at night.

Carl
    Carl

+ Reply to Thread