Closed Thread

Thread: Chlorine tablets to clean toilet??

Default Chlorine tablets to clean toilet??

I have a Puricle toilet cleaning system in the tank of my toilets- basically it's a small cup with a lid that is installed in-between the hoses in your tank, so the water passes through this cup before going into the bowl of the toilet. I'd put a Puricle (basically Chlorine) tablet in it every couple months and it kept my toilets spotless inside the bowl. Due to people complaining about the chlorine smell, which really wasn't that bad- Puricle quit making them and they changed the name and ingredients to Kaboom. Only thing- they didn't work as great without the "chlorine" in them, but worked ok. Now I can't find the Kaboom ones either, and always wondered what would happen if I put part of a chlorine tablet for a swimming pool in that cup?? There is usually some water in the cup at all times- would the chlorine tablet dissolve too fast or might this work?? I never looked at the ingredients of the Puricle tablets I first used that worked so well, but guessing by the smell there had to be chlorine in them. Have only used bleach in my pool- so don't know alot about chlorine tablets- any advice?? Sincerely, Donya
    Sincerely,
    Donya (huskerfan)

Default Re: Chlorine tablets to clean toilet??

I just drop clorox pucks in my toilet tank. These: http://www.meijer.com/assets/product...6324_A_400.jpg They last a month or two each. Your bleach smell was probably from the bleach reacting with urine. A detailed explanation of that specific reaction by chem geek can be found here: http://www.physicsforums.com/showpos...0&postcount=25 Although that thread was on the subject of using concentrated chlorine to clean up urine. The concentration released into and diluted by your toilet water will be much lower.
    Last edited by kelemvor; 07-02-2011 at 09:37 AM.
    rectangle 11.5K gal IG concrete pool;; 125sf cartridge filter; 2hp 1 speed pump; K-2006, k-1766; PF:10

Thanks for your reply, tried those and they just don't do the job that the Puricle tablets did. I truly never had to clean the inside of my toilet bowls using the Puricle ones. My luxury gift to myself is that I have cleaning ladies out once a month, and they always commented they wished everyone's toilets were as clean as mine. Never fails when you find something you like that works they eventually quit making it! Hope that never happens with bleach! Thanks again. Ohhhh- thanks for the tip on the urine and bleach, now I'll know if my pool starts smelling like chlorine/bleach that someone's doing something in there they shouldn't be, LOL!
    Sincerely,
    Donya (huskerfan)

Kaboom refills are readily available where we live, at the big box hardware stores, grocery stores, Bed Bath Beyond, Dollar-type stores. If you Google Kaboom you'll see that one of its ingredients is di-chloro-something. Whatever it is, when mixed with water it forms bleach and likely another oxidizer.
    Oval 12.5K gal AGP; Hayward 19" sand filter; Pentair Dyn 1 HP 2sp pump on timer
    [URL="http://www.ellerbach.com/Pool/"]My Pool Pages[/URL]

Thanks, before I order any Kaboom refills online - I wanted to see if anyone from the forum would know how the chlorine tablets for pools would work in this situation?? The Kabooms work ok- not nearly as good as the Puricle tablets they replaced, but better than anything else I can purchase that I've found. Just thought I'd check on the pool chlorine tablets idea first. Thanks!
    Sincerely,
    Donya (huskerfan)

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

"2000 Flushes" used to sell a chlorine version that didn't turn the water blue. Every 3-4 months it destroyed the flapper valve and the cistern would leak into the commode and then fill up again.

Carl
    Carl

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Seems to me that this was all discussed here on the forum a few years ago. Use the search feature in my signature and you might find some old threads that you could read.

Thank you - haven't lurked at the forum for quite a while so appreciate the reminder about searching . I think I'll pass to be safe and order more kaboom tablets online, thanks!
    Sincerely,
    Donya (huskerfan)

Poconos is offline SuperMod Emeritus Whizbang Spinner Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars

Is there a reason they're called KABOOM ?
    Al

Closed Thread