+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Wanting to start BBB method

Default Wanting to start BBB method

I am having difficulty with my chlorine level, and my Cya level is 0. Can i just go ahead and shock with the bleach, and then proceed from there? I have an above gorund soft-side pool that is 7900 gallons.

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Default Re: Wanting to start BBB method

You can start adding 1/2 gallon of bleach -- ~5 ppm -- in the evenings to keep your pool from getting messed up. But you'll need to add some stabilizer. You can put 3 - 4 # in an old sock and hang it in front of the pool return. It will take several days to dissolve.

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Can you post test result numbers, either your own or from a pool store's tests? That will help. Sound like you have an 18' donut pool or thereabouts. I started with a 15' donut myself.

Carl
    Carl

My test results are Free Chlorine= 0, pH= 7.5, Alkalinity= 120, and CYA= 0.

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Are these results before or after you added the bleach and CYA? You need to keep some chlorine in the pool. Until you get a CYA reading which will be several days up to a week, you'll need to add bleach a couple of times per day. In this size pool, each quart of 6% bleach will add just under 2ppm of chlorine to the water. Morning and evening, add enough bleach to take your chlorine reading back up to about 6 or so. Once your CYA is dissolved, you'll be able to test and add bleach in the evenings only.

Your pH and alk look just fine.

Post your CYA reading about a week from now, you'll use the Best Guess chart in my signature below to help you determine what chlorine level you'll need. It is based on the CYA level. Always make sure you keep your chlorine level within the suggested range or else you risk an algae bloom.

BTW -- Welcome to the Pool Forum!

+ Reply to Thread