+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Pool chemistry help

Default Pool chemistry help

Ok, my ph has been high and we've added muriatic acid, but it is still over 8. However my CYA has gone from 60ish to nonexistent. I know if I add conditioner it will also lower my ph. How long do I wait after adding the conditioner before adjusting the ph? My alkalinity is also high at 160. Is this the right course of action or do you recommend something else.

I added some trichlor tabs to the skimmers today.

Our pool is surrounded by huge crepe myrtles and it keeps filling up the pool with pink buds. I don't know if this has any affect or not.
    Old pool/ new owner =)
    32,600 gallon chlorine, inground, vinyl lined pool with deep end.
    Pump: Haywood 1.5 hp
    Filter: 300# sand filter.

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Default Re: Pool chemistry help

There are two known ways to lower CYA levels: 1) Drain and refill 2) a nasty, boggy algae left for a few weeks to over the winter.

You have neither so I'd guess one of the two CYA tests was done wrong. Are you using the black dot tester or test strips?

Carl
    Carl

Well, I excel at creating user errors. =P I'm using the black dot tester. I just tested again and it was around 45. This seems to be more in line with what I was getting before. Perhaps I didn't mix the reagent with the water long enough.

I will add acid tonight. I'm thinking our pool might naturally have a higher ph since we've already had to lower in once in the last 2 weeks. It actually seems clearer when the ph is high.
    Old pool/ new owner =)

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

I missed where JenL said what the pH is, just "high". JenL, you'll find it's much easier to keep your pH down if you get your Total Alkalinity down. Normally I wouldn't worry when a vinyl pool has the TA that high, but since you fight a rising pH problem, it will be far easier with the TA down to at least 100.

Carl
    Carl

We added acid and I will test again in the morning. Don't I have to lower my ph before I can start on lowering the alkalinity? Our alkalinity was fine until the pool store had us dump a bunch of stuff in there and now it's too high. Gr... I'm glad I found you all. My pool has come a long way since joining this forum.

Anyway, my ph was 8. I'd gotten it down to 7.7 2 weeks ago.
    Old pool/ new owner =)

During this, run your pump 24/7. Keep adding acid until pH is 7.0-7.2...no lower. You can add acid by a) adding about 1 cup (Ben or 'Mom may suggest more for your pool, but they are better dialed-in on those amounts than me), test after an hour, and, unless you hit your target, add another cup. Keep at it every hour until you reach the 7.0-7.2 level. Check your TA then...it should be down. Now Aerate to raise your pH without increasing T/A...Splashing kids, a fountain, or even just pointing the returns at the surface can work. Wait until pH reaches 7.5 or higher, and start adding acid again by the same routine. When at 7.0-7.2, your T/A should AGAIN be lower. Aerate back to 7.5 or better.

Keep at it until T/A is where you want it. I'm thinking you should be at between 80 and 100 max, to control pH. I've been at a T/A of 60 all season since my pH hasn't moved off 7.6. If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Carl
    Carl

+ Reply to Thread