Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: pump piping

Default pump piping

hello, f
    first post, i'm a contractor from jersey who needs some pool advice. I have an approx. 18 x 40 built in pool with a 1 1/2 hp hayward super pump thats 8 years old. changing out to 2 hp haywood northstar pump. cut out the old and installed the new with 1 1/2" schedule 40 pvc (guess that was the mistake) primed and glued but doesnt hold. i'm used to running pvc for waste lines and its good in 20 seconds. question is what pipe and glue is used for this application?
    thanks

MarkC is offline Registered+ Weir Watcher MarkC 1 star

Default Re: pump piping

Schedule 40 is what is usually used. I do believe 1.5" on a 2hp pump is a little on the small side and would have gone with 2". Is the pump inlet and outlet sized for 2". When you said it did not hold was your PVC cleaner and joint cement relatively new? I have had failures using old PVC cement in the past. I would let it sit pressure free overnight just to be on the safe side.

thanks for the quick reply. pump is set-up for 2". existing lines are 1 1/2". used a bushing for transition. glue was new. even used the green glue for the pvc to abs spots. maybe just should let it sit longer cause its pressure? i could change whats above ground to 2" but would still have 1 1/2 under ground.

This Christy's Hot glue really works well. Still any joint under pressure (unlike waste lines) will require at least a few hours to cure. I would wait over night in this application if possible.

duraleigh Guest

Good morning,

a PVC joint, properly primed and glued, will hold pool-type pressure within 2 minutes....usually less. Something else is wrong...not the glue.

What ABS to PVC connection do you have? Thats unusual.

Just to chime in, your pump is too large for that pool. Unless you have a really large filter (130gpm plus), you'll be running unnecessary pressure in your sytem. Not enough to have ANY effect on the glue joints, but causing you to burn unneccessary electric.

the pump filter housing is black. figured that is abs. these joints were fine. the pvc joints are giving me the problem. the pipe i owned for a while. was using my rigid ratchet cutter which wasnt cutting the pipe, actually breaking it. had to use a sawzall. wonder if something is wrong with the pipe? usually the cutter cuts with no problem.
    going to set my guys up on my job then coming home to work on this. i'll check the size of the filter.

filter is 112 gpm. here some pics of the set-up. simply pipe job but figure maybe im missing something being a pressurized system .

duraleigh Guest

Thanks for the helpful pics...I see the primer. Looks like you used the existing suction side into the pump and only remodeled the pressure side. What joints aren't holding?

It appears all you need to complete is a nipple into the pressure side fitting on the pump. What am I missing?
    Last edited by duraleigh; 05-10-2006 at 09:06 AM.

Poconos is offline SuperMod Emeritus Whizbang Spinner Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars

From the pics it seems the swept 90's are for drain & waste, not the pressure rated 90's I see on the heater. The pressure fittings have about a 1.25" deep glued mate. Should also be able to use a regular sched-40 pipe adapter into the pump. As for the glue, regular green can cement and purple primer. I'd also let the joints cure for an hour or so before putting them under pressure. The pipes seem attached but the glue is still soft.
    Al
    Last edited by Poconos; 05-10-2006 at 09:00 AM.

Davenj is offline Lifetime Member Thread Analyst Davenj 0

I have a Northstar 2hp spd pump with 500lb sand filter, 2 1/2" piping, 4 returns, 2 main drains and skimmers, spa, and swimout. On high speed it moves alot of water. Pump pressure reads 20psi with everything open. 18x36 pool. I only run it on high for 1hr twice a day. The rest of the time it runs on low speed. Seems like to big a pump for your setup. Not very efficent, like putting a straw in the end of a garden hose.

Closed Thread